Sending automatic replies to private messages for a specific user

Sorry to dig the graves here, but I couldn’t find anything more related to my query.

I’m really interested in this. We run a support forum for a mobile app, and concurrently use an email support service (HelpScout), which is fine but there’s so much repetition in support email that it just has to have a better solution. We went with Discourse as a community counterpart where the support information is shared in one-to-many relationship.

Currently I’m trying to figure out if Discourse could work as a complete support solution for both public and private support queries.
As I’ve read here there have been some experiments with incoming email to Discourse that get treated as group PMs, which is exactly what I’d imagine (coupled with the Assign plugin).

What I’m missing is a way to intercept incoming PMs, run some script on them and possibly respond back with an autogenerated reply, based on analysis of the content, as a “zero level” support. In a similar vein that Zendesk’s Answer Bot works.

I understand that a plugin would need to be built for that, which I’m comfortable with. My question is - where is the pipeline through which the private messages go? Where should I start looking if I want to intercept every PM to a specific group of users?

3 Likes