Show categories in e-mail notifications

I could have quoted a number of posts in this topic for this, but my impression so far of Discourse is that when migrating mailman lists to discourse, each mailman list with its own already email-connected community and established list owners/moderators should get its own discourse install, not just one category in a big discourse install with lots of categories. That way you can let them have full freedom within that community to create whatever categories to organize their discussions and to manage their community rather than forcing them to be part of something bigger and see things from other migrated lists that they potentially have nothing to do with.

The architecture of discourse doesn’t really support the traditional setup where one organization hosts dozens or hundreds of mailman lists, and I’m not sure it’s going to ever make those people happy who just want to live in their email. We can tinker around the edges to make the subject line more customizable, but the tension between what forums need vs what lists need will always be there and I for one would hope that the forum will always win. :slight_smile:

This is a bit optimistic - there are other big differences that people who favor email will not be happy with, like the fact that quoted text and forwarded emails get filtered out and don’t get distributed/make it to the forum. You can’t manage your subscription by email, query mailman servers by email to get info, you can’t deduce the email address to reach the moderator etc.

Is it not already in the body of the message, right next to the post title?

This is not an accurate representation of large projects with multiple lists. In such projects, lists are the categories. Discourse email integration has recognized this allowing unique incoming email addresses per category. Now we’re just asking for parity on the outbound side by allowing users to filter notifications per category using a subject line or email header, just like lists afford.

There is immense cross-pollination value in keeping all the conversation in a project in one place. Identifying email notifications by category helps make that happen for people who want email notifications from Discourse. Splitting lists/categories into multiple installations would be a giant step in the wrong direction.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. Each community has its own internal logic and culture, so I shouldn’t be making any assumptions about yours. :slight_smile: But be prepared to start managing expectations as users start to realize all the things they miss from mailman!

I agree that having the subject line customizable along the lines suggested by @piecritic:

I like this suggestion. If I had this option I would also only put the category in the email subject in square brackets, e.g. [volunteers] for notifications form the volunteers category. If there are no categories, the subject prefix would be left out altogether.

… but for my community what’s on the subject line is not a deal killer, since the categories are highlighted very nicely inside the message.

@eviltrout can you implement a configurable substitution scheme string for email titles this week including {category}, {sitename}, {topictitle}, etc? Just the title of notification emails should be configurable in this manner.

12 Likes

Thanks so much for this. :slight_smile:

OK, clearly @eviltrout has this in hand, so I’ll leave this alone for now (contact me if I can help). Hopefully my comments at Email subject configuration options and/or my pull request code with adding the “Re:” are useful.

I would add to please include with the configurable subject lines the option to include the “Re:” in replies, which I am pretty sure is part of the requirement for Mail.app to thread properly (stupid though that may be).

Also, with the addition of a List-Id header, there is no real necessity for the [Site Title] in the subject line, which makes the option of just using a subject with just the [category] much more appealing.

Thanks!

3 Likes

I suppose that’s a worthy goal, but keep in mind Mail.app has only a 7% market share. I don’t know how the other clients handle threading but it’d be worth trying to get it right wherever possible.

That’s true, but it also makes the category unnecessary as well. As I understand RFC 2919 the List-Id should be as specific as possible, e.g. List-Id: <category.discourse.example.com>. This becomes especially true since the system allows unique email addresses for each category. At least that’s how I process it in my mind.

In general, perhaps. For my mailing list, its probably more like 90+%.

Given there are definitely people who have said that they are using or plan to use Discourse in a way where each category is conceptually a separate mailing list, I completely agree that should be an option.

It should be possible to configure Discourse such that it behaves as:

• A single community, a single mailing list, with a single list ID.
  • A group of communities, a group of mailing lists, each with their own list ID.

In either case, optionally including the category in the subject may be desirable, and optionally not including the site title in the subject may be desirable.

3 Likes

Thanks for getting this started! Has there been some progress by now, can we start to open the champagne-bottles? We’re really eager to kick it off, and tell every Plone-nut about it :sunny:

1 Like

Wouldn’t the two iOS versions do the same? That would place the share at 44%.

Mail.app is a desktop product so it’s not really appropriate to lump them together with iOS apps. They all use WebKit rendering but behave differently on the UX side.

Has there been any update on this?

3 Likes

I was wondering the same. We are currently testing with the aim of moving our community to Discourse, and this seems to be the only blocker at the moment.

A large percentage of our current users are mailing-list use cases, so they don’t tend to visit the web front end very often, so they would like it in their email so that they can filter appropriately.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Is there any update on the progress of this?

2 Likes

This is one of the things we are looking at Mozilla Discourse instance to be able to encourage people move from our mailing lists to Discourse.

There are a lot a people in the community that just want to use their email to follow discussions.

Is there a place to better track this request or know how to bring help to move it forward?

2 Likes

@eviltrout if this one is relatively straightforward, I say we do it – add the category by default to all emails, if uncategorized just show nothing:

Format would be

[Community Title] [Category] Topic title here

And if uncategorized, then

[Community Title] Topic title here

as before. As for subcatgories I guess

[Community Title] [Category/Subcategory] Topic title here

Let’s make sure PMs are unaffected, PMs should say [PM] as the “category” anyway.

10 Likes

Checking in to see if this is still on the road map. We have been redirecting more and more of our smaller email lists to Discourse, and as @nukeador says, it’s the One Big Thing that will help people be cope with handle the transition as we look at planning the move for our large lists.

1 Like

I’m trying to talk the folks at Canonical into moving some/all of our internal lists to Discourse, and this will almost certainly be a deal breaker. We need an easy way to be able to direct all email notifications from a single category into a single email folder (or tag in gmail). Right now, that’s impossible.

3 Likes

@techAPJ worked on allowing custom email titles, where is that at? is there a howto?

2 Likes

The “email subject” can be customized from Admin site settings:

Formatting:

%{optional_re} => Re: (applicable if the post is a Reply)

%{site_name} => [Discourse Meta]

%{optional_pm} => [PM] (applicable if the post is a Personal Message)

%{topic_title} => Show categories in e-mail notifications

Currently showing the category in email subject is not supported but I’m on it, and will create a separate howto for this once this feature is implemented.

8 Likes