Show categories in e-mail notifications

Wouldn’t the two iOS versions do the same? That would place the share at 44%.

Mail.app is a desktop product so it’s not really appropriate to lump them together with iOS apps. They all use WebKit rendering but behave differently on the UX side.

Has there been any update on this?

3 Likes

I was wondering the same. We are currently testing with the aim of moving our community to Discourse, and this seems to be the only blocker at the moment.

A large percentage of our current users are mailing-list use cases, so they don’t tend to visit the web front end very often, so they would like it in their email so that they can filter appropriately.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Is there any update on the progress of this?

2 Likes

This is one of the things we are looking at Mozilla Discourse instance to be able to encourage people move from our mailing lists to Discourse.

There are a lot a people in the community that just want to use their email to follow discussions.

Is there a place to better track this request or know how to bring help to move it forward?

2 Likes

@eviltrout if this one is relatively straightforward, I say we do it – add the category by default to all emails, if uncategorized just show nothing:

Format would be

[Community Title] [Category] Topic title here

And if uncategorized, then

[Community Title] Topic title here

as before. As for subcatgories I guess

[Community Title] [Category/Subcategory] Topic title here

Let’s make sure PMs are unaffected, PMs should say [PM] as the “category” anyway.

10 Likes

Checking in to see if this is still on the road map. We have been redirecting more and more of our smaller email lists to Discourse, and as @nukeador says, it’s the One Big Thing that will help people be cope with handle the transition as we look at planning the move for our large lists.

1 Like

I’m trying to talk the folks at Canonical into moving some/all of our internal lists to Discourse, and this will almost certainly be a deal breaker. We need an easy way to be able to direct all email notifications from a single category into a single email folder (or tag in gmail). Right now, that’s impossible.

3 Likes

@techAPJ worked on allowing custom email titles, where is that at? is there a howto?

2 Likes

The “email subject” can be customized from Admin site settings:

Formatting:

%{optional_re} => Re: (applicable if the post is a Reply)

%{site_name} => [Discourse Meta]

%{optional_pm} => [PM] (applicable if the post is a Personal Message)

%{topic_title} => Show categories in e-mail notifications

Currently showing the category in email subject is not supported but I’m on it, and will create a separate howto for this once this feature is implemented.

8 Likes

Oh, I was confused a bit, I didn’t realize you were outputting examples for this post, and since the output of %{topic_title} is “Show categories in e-mail notifications”, for a second, I thought the feature was actually done.

Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help, getting that done ASAP would be super helpful, since the anvil’s already hot over at Canonical…

3 Likes

“Subject format for standard emails.”

^^^ That is terrible. Can you look at amending that so it either explains all the magic or links to a meta topic that explains that.

2 Likes

Sent a PR for this feature:

4 Likes

Notwithstanding the ambiguous “Subject format for standard emails” tip beneath the text field, this is still a bit ambiguous.

It would seem that %{site_name}, %{optional_re}, and %{topic_title} do not include square brackets but %{optional_pm} does. Is that correct? And what about the new (as of yet undocumented) %{optional_cat}? And are spaces not necessary?

Just posted a howto for this feature:

4 Likes

Hey @nukeador, has anyone had a chance to try out the new notifications on https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/ yet? It’s working pretty well for us so far and just wanted to follow up with at least one other group of mailing list users.

Yes, we are using it right now and it’s working great :smiley:

Next improvement would be to have also better email headers for Lists so clients would be able to identify messages as coming from a mailing list.

FWIW, there is a site setting email custom headers that we’ve added the following:

Auto-Submitted: auto-generated|Precedence: list|List-Id: <FROM-ADDRESS.example.org>|List-Unsubscribe: <https://site.example.org.org/user_preferences>

Where FROM-ADDRESS.example.org corresponds to our fromaddress@example.org that emails are sent from. Granted, that causes all Discourse notifications to have the same List-Id, but it’s good enough for filters if you add in the subject line. It’d be nice if there were a way to have different headers for reply notifications, such as Auto-Submitted: auto-replied, but maybe that will come in time.

We also took the site name out of the email subject, i.e.:

%{optional_re}%{optional_pm}%{optional_cat}%{topic_title}

… which makes it look pretty much like a traditional mailing list subject line.

The email headers already include these list meta fields. Can you view source and specify exactly what you mean?