Show image file size limit on user#preference page

We removed any kind of client-side warning when uploading an image since we’re trying to downsize it on the server.

What happens if you try to upload a 40mb file? Does the user get any kind of feedback that it is hosed?

This on a 20mb file, and that was a .wmv which I renamed, so it might not be a bad idea to check the file header to see if it matches the extension.

4 Likes

In my screenshot example above, it was a 8mb file (a photo being uploaded as profile pic) that caused the upload interface to just hang, without an error notification of any kind. Incidentally this time it was on a normal connection in Washington DC, not like the situation we ran into last summer in Tanzania. There I assumed it was mostly because of slow connections.

Can you reproduce the error condition here?

I just tried uploading the same 3.5mb .jpg to my sandbox, and here on meta. Neither complained about the upload being oversized.

On my sandbox (last update about an hour ago) the save changes button was still dim after 6 minutes (counting after the upload reached 100%).

Here on meta the Save Changes button works after about 5 sec.

Did the same with an 8mb .jpg, same results (meta took about 7 sec before save changes with the larger file).

1 Like

I just uploaded the 8mb profile pic here and it worked - but it did take a while to complete after the “Uploading 100%” indication was displayed, maybe 15-20 seconds. Perhaps my colleague in DC just wasn’t patient enough.

1 Like