Split user preferences menu into sections

I was pointed to this thread from one I started on a different ux issue. As a fairly new Discourse user (not programmer or administer) I thought y’all might appreciate my POV.

As @sam says, it’s a rare page to visit - at least I’m guessing it is. As such, going to great effort to improve it near perfectly isn’t likely the best use of the programmers’ time. Don’t let the perfect get in the way of the good.

From what I’ve seen, there’s a split in my mind in the options presented. ~40% profile information, ~30% how the forum works for the user, and ~30% essentially managing lists (of tags, categories and users).

Given the low priority of any change here (see above), I’d suggest splitting into only two parts for now: “My Profile” and “Preferences”. There’s plenty of room:

Disclaimer: I only use Discourse on a non-mobile screen, so I leave it to others to worry about the mobile presentation!

I think @Pad_Pors brings up a good point:

whatever i change in the profile page, i need to scroll down a lot in order to save the change. while for example in the admin panel, i can save any change in the setting right in front of the setting. and it helps me not to get tired.

It’d be really nice if the “Save Changes” button floated so as to remain on screen at all times!

4 Likes