Store a real revision for large grace period edits

Also for @jomaxro if this proves to be a problem on a specific site they can turn down the site setting value from 100 to 20 or whatever they like.

3 Likes

Would it make sense to differentiate between additions and deletions?

Let’s say I delete have my post during the grace period. That’s most likely worth a revision. But I think there’s no need to create a revision if I just add a few more sentences during the grace period.

1 Like

Given the uneasiness this generates I am probably just going to make this a tl1 / 2 thing and wind it down to 100.

Too many high trust users are used to sneaking stuff in that I just don’t feel that it is worth disturbing the status quo for now

Will change this tomorrow

3 Likes

I am fine with two settings, one for TL0/1 and one for higher trust users. We could set the TL0/1 to 100 chars, and the higher trust one to 400 chars. That would resolve my concerns 100%, other than being yet another unavoidable site setting, no downside, the code path seems relatively straightforward?

1 Like

Unfortunately a higher number of chars makes it harder to protect against mistakes.

I believe the scenario @sam wanted to protect against was accidentally deleting an entire long post, which would certainly be more than a 400 char change. Remember a Twitter message used to be 140 characters, and is now 280 chars. 140 chars is tiny.

1 Like

Done per:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/5b6e49ae1dee184b2b26b23426af6295f8d6fe27

Now, if only I had a grace period on my GitHub commit messages.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.