Sub-sub-sub-sub-sub categories

We’re bumping up against the depth limit too. Tags are not a suitable replacement.

Here’s the specific example:

Our discourse is for the members of a makerspace. The Space category is for everything related to the physical infrastructure, tools and rules (as opposed to the members, their projects, off-topic conversations etc.)

Under Space, we have Tools, Rules, Infrastructure, Storage etc.

I’m now finding the Tools category to be rather cluttered and would like to make Woodworking, Electronics, Rapid Prototyping etc. sub-categories. But because Tools lives in Space, I can’t.

Tags are not a suitable replacement, because they are cross-category. Our users will happily apply the “woodworking” tag to topics about their projects, or general discussion topics. There’s no simple and obvious way to say “just show me the Woodworking (tag) Tools (category)”

They’re also optional, which IME means chasing around after everyone adding tags.

I was wondering why the hard limit of 2 levels was chosen? I can understand it as a default limit, but don’t see the harm in allowing administrators to choose a setting that works best for their site.

3 Likes