Such a tiny window to edit here on a cell phone

There is no difference, still 3 lines visible.

I don’t have that option (maybe it depends on the android version).
But since I do not start a topic that often and ever more rarely with my phone, there is no problem for me. For replying the 8 lines are enough

1 Like

Interesting on the previous screenshot the Discourse header wasn’t visible but on this one it is :thinking:

It’s available since Android 10 I think? So every phone still supported by the manufacture will have it. For people using phones dropped by the manufacturer custom roms like LineageOS are the only way AFAIK

Also, I find it weird that lots of screenshots of people on this topic with small phones have enabled a dedicated number row on their keyboards. Not even the iPad keyboard have a dedicated number row :laughing:

4 Likes

The fundamental issue here is the screen size in combination with the text zoom level. It’s not about saving one line (as helpful as such options are)

1 Like

I did not know disabling that was an option. :slight_smile: I could have made use of that a few times, even if it only snuck in an extra line or two.

I think the main crux is the title, category and tag block, as you don’t really need that on screen the whole time. I don’t know if there’s any nifty solution to tuck that away somewhere and bring it out only when wanted, but that might increase the available space for more involved OPs on your phone.

I’ve made quite a few bigger topics on my phone, and it can get a little claustrophobic at times. There are some good tips in here so far though, and I’d wished I’d known about some of them sooner. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Android keyboards are super customizable since early Android 2.x days!

It’s was impossible to set tags for topics on mobile for most of Discourse life. It was only added when most phones became larger, making it possible to accommodate it.

Also worth linking to the original topic on this area

2 Likes

Ha. I refuse to be keyboard-shamed. :slight_smile: The keyboard pops up, I type in it. That is about the limit of my relationship with it. :slight_smile:

I definitely think it should be in there. I used to use my mobile for everything Discourse-related, and I like that almost everything possible on the desktop is mirrored on the mobile version. This is for sure a good thing. :+1: I was more thinking about how often I would need that info on my screen when editing an OP. If space was tight, collapsing the ‘OP block’ at the top to reclaim some content space would be pretty sweet.

Or something like this could work too:

3 Likes

3 measly lines for new posts.
4 for replies.

It’s like some SMS app. Or maybe some tweet where there’s a character limit.

Sure, more lines if you don’t mind disposing of your keyboard every time you need to take a look at what you typed.

If this were desktop, I just hit some button and emacs would pop up and I could edit in the dedicated editor and then when I was finished I could send it back to the app.

No, users shouldn’t be required to reconfigure their cell phones just to use this one app.

Some more screenshots of roomy input boxes:

Okay on the first one I forgot to put the keyboard up. But you get the idea. Anyway the challenge is to find an input box as small as Discourse’s. SMS apps are disqualified from this competition.

Can you please share your Android and Chrome settings?

Here’s mine from Settings → Display → Display & Text:

And Chrome:

3 Likes

I’m really not convinced there’s any merit to this topic.

The original post includes a screenshot which appears to have been created by requesting the desktop version of the site. The mobile view when starting a topic or reply doesn’t include the top bar seen below:

50% of the above is taken up with a keyboard including number row, the android bar along the bottom, and a suggestion bar. It reminds me of IE toolbar hell.

This is what the New Topic interface actually looks like:

That’s 14 rows of editor with no additional goofy UI elements. 16 if I turn off the toolbar.

Two of the screenshots omit the keyboard entirely:

The fourth is shot on a different device, which doesn’t include the android bar across the bottom of the screen:

Were we inclined, we could all cherry-pick screenshots to portray any story we care to tell.

The only question is whether Discourse misbehaves when it’s used in a supportable way. Thus far I don’t believe this has been proven.

2 Likes

What do you mean by “top bar”? The header? That is also shown to me while creating a topic using the pwa.

1 Like

The horizontal bar with the site name, and user avatar.

My screenshot was from the PWA:

Here are mine: (browser, not app)

I don’t like hiding the number row though as it also takes out my long press symbols on the top row that I’m used to using.

PWA:

2 Likes

That shows in the screenshot of @JammyDodger too. I still don’t think it’s because of desktop view. I tried again and once the header did not show, but since then the header always shows.

2 Likes

Yes, I forgot to have the keyboard up on some of my screenshots. Just imagine half the screen being covered by it. Also I might have pressed “Long screenshot” on some of them, and then chopped the too long part. Anyway I was too impressed with the roomy input boxes on other sites so slipped.

As far as my font size / (Android, not Chrome) screen zoom slider settings: please test with them slightly to the right (larger) than normal. Expect that older users with older eyes might be using cellphones.

Did I select “Use Desktop view” in the Chrome menu? No, I don’t think the PWA has a chrome menu.

Anyway my point is: it is true: on some phones there will only be a three line high New Topic entry field. Yes, one can fill in as many lines as one wants in it, but it still only has a three line visible area.

I have. And it reduces the editing area at each increase.

I respect that some users (especially older users) need bigger text.

But surely we must also respect that the bigger the text is, the less room there is for other things, including the composers text area?

So it’s always going to be a trade off and it’s hard for Discourse to avoid that trade-off?

1 Like

Well it’s mainly how important each item is to keep on the screen while a person is composing the message. For instance is it important to have the group name always on the screen? The message title? The tag box? Usually the user just sets these once and then goes on to make the message. I recommend allowing them to fold up or roll up, and if the user needs to adjust them he can roll them back down.

1 Like

Hello, I ma thinking is that possible to do not sure area enclosed in a red frame in default for mobile sure?
Which file/part shoule I change?
Thanks you.

Also I guess for 99% cases. people will going to create a new topic but not sth with voting.
So may be it’s better to merge this part to ‘input title’? like put it on the right side of ‘input title’?

I guess Mandarin might have unique challenges here because of the complex nature of the characters so your choices to reduce size of text at phone level are more limited?

To answer from the previous topic. Yt.w wanted to disable the toolbar by default on certain conditions because:

I figured out I could try to make some code for that. This is just an immediate band-aid solution.
Actually, in Discourse by default, anything below 370 window width or, if an Android, the toolbar is hidden.

const storedVal = keyValueStore.get("toolbar-enabled");
if (this._toolbarEnabled === undefined && storedVal === undefined) {
  // iPhone 6 is 375, anything narrower and toolbar should
  // be default disabled.
  // That said we should remember the state
  this._toolbarEnabled =
    window.innerWidth > 370 && !this.capabilities.isAndroid;
}

My code would be just an extension to generalize this behavior to any mobile view.

I agree with you; another approach would be to educate the user in some ways that the burger icon toggles the toolbar!

1 Like