Sync topic content in Wordpress and Discourse (feature request)

Hey there @volanar, I can see what you’re trying to achieve.

This will not be a part of the WP Discourse plugin in the foreseeable future, partly because that plugin is focused on syncing Wordpress comments as opposed to content Wordpress posts, and partly because making the WP Discourse Plugin bidirectional poses challenges that are difficult to solve within the framework of that plugin and the way it works with Discourse. @Stephen mentioned to some of those challenges. There are others.

That said, it is potentially possible that you’ll be able to achieve your goal through the use of the Wordpress ActivityPub Plugin and the Discourse ActivityPub Plugin, which, combined could, on paper, do what you’re wanting to do, i.e. bidirectional synchronisation of content (Wordpress posts and Discourse posts).

There are two big caveats there. The bidirectional features of the Discourse ActivityPub plugin are not yet merged into the main branch of the plugin (the PR is currently under review), and I’ve never tested that plugin with the Wordpress ActivityPub plugin. But what you’re suggesting is potentially possible by combining the two.

Indeed, the scenario you’ve described is what the ActivityPub protocol was developed to handle. Why is it more possible in that context as opposed to the WP Discourse context? There are many reasons which I won’t get into here, but suffice it to say that if that is your goal that is the avenue you should consider.