Tool to remove email addresses from posts

What would you like done?

Our forum was migrated from a mailing list platform, and many posts contain email addresses, for example “email me at xyz@gmail.com” or in a signature block at the end of the post. For privacy reasons, we would like to remove all email addresses, or replace them with “email address removed”.

There is an exception: email addresses are allowed, and should not be removed, in the first post of a topic, or if the post is authored by a user named “Summary”. Either check is sufficient, whichever is easier- you don’t have to check both.

We don’t need a UI. I’m not a rails guy but can type a rake command, something like Replace a string in all posts, or can run something from the rails console. I assume email addresses can be found with a regex.

It would be great if it printed a report of what was replaced. Just printing to the console would be fine unless there’s a better way (/logs?).

[EDIT] Perhaps this should be a plugin that runs periodically to scrub any newly-posted email addresses. Open to suggestions.

When do you need it done?

Next few weeks would be great.

What is your budget, in $ USD that you can offer for this task?

Open to offers- please PM me with your approach and cost estimate.

4 Likes

Hello from Pavilion. Sending a PM regarding this.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.