Today we moved a category with 2 groups and a dozen users from one instance to the next. It took about half an hour for a group of three people (one admin on site 1, another on site 2, a coordinator).
Step 1: backup
Note: the category number was taken from the JSON representation of the category.
Step 2: restore
We passed the file to Admin2, and he put it in
shared/app/ to have it available in the container.
RAILS_ENV=production script/discourse import_category /shared/file.json created the users and categories. But somehow the restoration does not seem to have worked in full:
About the Prepare FOSDEM 2019 category - Prepare FOSDEM 2019 - Enough looks very different from https://socialhub.network/t/about-the-prepare-fosdem-2019-category/288 (from -> to)
We’re looking into solutions to fix the unmigrated stuff.
So here’s the cutoff:
- posts in the “About this category” topic (the category’s description topic) are not imported.
- likes seem not to be imported, but that might just be a side-effect of the importing site being frozen, and might be fixed by unfreezing the site.
We’re going to export the topic and import it again to see how it works.
We completed the move. Here are the caveats:
- users who were part of the original group but did not post were not imported.
- likes were not imported
- wiki status of some posts was not imported (this may be due to the lower trust level at the destination)
- user avatars were not imported, unless it was a gravatar
- notification level was ignored
- the category topic’s posts were imported using
import_topic, then posts manually moved to the existing topic.
Edit: here’s another couple of things that missed the import:
- associated links
- oneboxes (requires rebuilding HTML)
End of Report.