Transfer from bitnami to normal discourse

If you really want, you can stay on the same host, assuming you get all the Bitnami stuff removed. (I can’t help you with that, I’ve never used Bitnami.)
Make sure you download a backup and write down your SMTP settings before you remove anything :wink:

In that case, you’ll obviously have a downtime, starting when you remove your old installation, until you have everything working. This is why I’d highly recommend switching to a new server, either on Digital Ocean or on Azure. This won’t allow you to keep your IP, but there shouldn’t be any good reason why you’d want to keep it :slight_smile:

You can continue using your old SSL certificate if you want. In that case, these instructions will tell you how to add SSL (after you’ve set up the rest).
But please note that this is significantly more difficult than simply getting a Let’s Encrypt certificate! If you stay on the same serve, simply fill in your email address when prompted, and you’ll automatically get a free SSL certificate which will also renew automatically. This won’t be any less secure than your certificate through GoDaddy, it’s just more convenient (and free).

Of course, it’s your choice how you’ll continue, but moving to a fresh server, preferably on Digital Ocean, with a Let’s Encrypt certificate will give you the recommended setup, used by the the majority of self-hosters on Meta. This means that you’re way less likely to run into problems, and we’re able to give you better help here because there are more experts that run exactly the same setup :slight_smile:

2 Likes