Trouble restoring backup--SiteSetting::Upload.s3_base_url is failing--because enable_s3_uploads was set in database

So it’s confirmed that the issue was that some years ago when I first tried to set up S3, I set enable_s3_uploads in the database, which causes the restore not to work because it tries to upload to s3 but doesn’t have enough information. (Sigh. But it fails restoring the the multisite/s3 instace because some files “are not migrated to s3”.)

I wonder whether it would make sense to make the s3 uploads settings all hidden. I’m pretty sure that no good can come from setting them in the UX. But it can be handy to set s3 uploads in the database. . . . maybe.

The one restored to the standard install is failing to show uploads because it’s doing this:

      Started GET "/uploads/short-url/puhaSNHeEy1S2knGFQIAZ8lprRy.pdf" for at 2022-01-25 19:48:06 +0000
Processing by UploadsController#show_short as PDF
  Parameters: {"base62"=>"puhaSNHeEy1S2knGFQIAZ8lprRy", "extension"=>"pdf"}
Sent file /var/www/discourse/public/default/original/1X/b2a283b9381b837234e7d4830b.pdf (4.4ms)
Completed 500 Internal Server Error in 130ms (ActiveRecord: 0.0ms | Allocations: 10019)
ActionController::MissingFile (Cannot read file /var/www/discourse/public/default/original/1X/b2a283b9381b837234e7d4830.pdf)

The path that it’s looking for is /var/www/discourse/public/default/original/1X/ instead of /var/www/discourse/public/uploads/default/original/1X/

… . .

And that’s because I did a remap trying to fix the S3 bucket references and that broke the paths in the local urls.

I think maybe this is to much in the weeds to be useful to anyone. Though I still think that hiding the S3 upload variables from the UX is a good idea.