Unable to assign users to topics or posts

Hello!

I have users with an inability to assign other users to topics that should theoretically have the ability.

These users do see the assign button. However, the list of users is limited to only a couple, and when searching for a username (or name of the user), they get No matches found - even if that user was in the list of users. They are able to assign to users in the dropdown list, if they click on that user’s name directly.

I have admin perms and am able to search for users and assign them.

I have tried:

  • in the Assign plugin settings, adding the groups whose members should be assignable to Assign allowed on groups.
  • in the category’s settings, ensured that the groups are indeed listed in the Additional groups with assignment permission
  • made one of the groups category moderators
  • in each groups settings, for Who can assign this group, I have set to Only group members, moderators, and admins
  • in each groups settings, for Who can see this group's members?, I have set to Group owners, members, and moderators
  • since this is a documentation category, created a test category that’s just a basic discussion category

I’ve reproduced this issue with my test account:

When I click on the `+Assign` button using my test account

When I try to search for my actual account (jen), using my test account

When I try to search for my testing account, using my admin account

Strangely enough, one time my test account and another user were able to successfully search for a user, but the ability went away quickly - I had not changed any settings, since I was still impersonating in my test account. It seems to work one time after clearing cache and reloading. Then it breaks.

I am stumped! Any ideas?