Using alternative browsers like Konqueror and Falcon?

Why your forum will not be displayed in many browsers. For example, it does not work on Falcon browser. It doesn’t work on Konqueror either. Generally, mine worked before when I tested (1 year ago now it does not display what is going on ?

3 Likes

I just installed Konqueror 5.0.97 (RIP my SSD space) and Meta is rendering fine:

Back button is broken, but this may be because the browser is missing some APIs. Can’t confirm as I didn’t find any JS debugging integrated.

Falkon is even better, but I assume that’s because it’s mostly Chrome anyway:

7 Likes

my site is broken and discourse and minimal theme is up to date. So what is wrong ?

3 Likes

Well, there is nothing I can do if you don’t either reproduce the same error here or in Try, or share a link to the broken website.

That said, our browser support is pretty explicit: IE (until next June), Firefox, Safari and Chrome.

11 Likes

Hey, don’t forget Opera

1 Like

Officially we don’t support Opera and never supported it.

Unofficially since it’s just Chromium under the hood, it should “just work”.

7 Likes

China’s involvement and chrome guts confuse me, sure don’t get what happened, its not what it once was but I don’t change until I have to, lol, still have a virtual xp somewhere in here :laughing:

1 Like

Many of these issues seem to be appearing with old OSs as well, i.e.: WinME,Vista, and especially XP. In another thread there are several reports of users suddenly getting blank white pages and/or blank pages with just the header with non-functioning icons showing. I have a Mod who is still using XP and - no matter which browser she uses - she cannot get on the forum. The only thing she can do at the moment is read and reply by email. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: She said this started this past Monday. For a forum in Russia it began last Saturday. So, you should look at what OSs those that are having problems accessing your forums also. Just a thought…

4 Likes

wow, I don’t get that, have you recommended they try a user agent mask to see if its an intentional block?

I know W7 days are limited and sure OS’s in general are as well, soon it will all be straight terminal access only with required credentials or no admittance I’m sure

you know, to keep us safe

3 Likes

You’re not using a normal browser on a normal device, tadaah the end.

3 Likes

We tried sending her an invite to a different email address. The first time she replied Discourse gave her an error message “Oops, looks like you are attempting to accept an invitation for another user. If you are not ___, please log out and try again.” Which she did and just created a user account about an hour ago. I have to call her to see if she can actually use the forum or just read… or what.

For over a month she had problems with Chrome that none of the other users had. That gave the impression that it was 1) her web browser, or 2) her OS. She switched to Firefox and had the same problem. Several other users switched back and forth among several browsers and didn’t have any problem. That led to the conclusion it was her OS. And it was only then we found out she was still using Windows XP. :roll_eyes: She cannot afford a new laptop as she’s disabled and on a fixed income (barely managing as it is). So I think I’ll just have to send her a Christmas gift. She is one of my Mods and we’ve become friends over the past 6 years. (We also talk by telephone at least once a week.)
I’ll check on her later this afternoon to see how she made out on our forum. I’ll give a very short update here as to her results.

6 Likes

Have you tried any of the major browsers? Like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.?

4 Likes

You may want to gift her a Chromebook or iPad.

4 Likes

I think it will have to be a 17" laptop. Her eyesight is starting to go as well. She tried using an iPad and had to use a magnifying glass about 5" from the screen. :grimacing:

4 Likes

A cheap Windows 10 laptop would probably be better.

EdgeHTML too?

2 Likes

You can consider the IE :arrow_forward: OldEdge :arrow_forward: NewEdge a single timeline, as IE ends at 11, old edge starts at 12 and goes until 18, and new edge starts at 76.

So when we say IE11+ it means (IE11+OldEdge+NewEdge). And when we drop old versions we can say NewEdge 80+.

4 Likes

That’s kind of confusing.

1 Like

After privately talking to some of our “regulars” on our forum, we decided a nice birthday gift would be a 17.3" laptop with all the trimmings. No longer running WinXp, I have my Mod back! :laughing:

13 Likes

That’s amazing, I’ve never heard of a community that did that. Respect!

9 Likes

Thanks, they’re a great group! She told me she didn’t open the boxes for 2 days because she couldn’t believe it. Said no one every did anything like that for her in her life. She cried for some time while we were on the phone. But she’s back and ready to “crack the whip” for some of us going off-topic. :innocent: :laughing:

13 Likes