Vk.com login (vkontakte)

(Sam Saffron) #1

Repository: https://github.com/discourse/discourse-vk-auth

After installing the plugin you can go to vk.com and:

1. Create a new application (or use existing one) at https://vk.com/apps?act=manage. (choose “Website” under Platform in the form for a new application.)
  2. Go to the application settings and note the app ID and Secure key.
  3. In your Discourse instance, go to Site Settings, filter by “VK” and enter the app ID and the Secure key.
  4. Check the “vk auth enabled” checkbox, and you’re done!

You should now see the button to login via VK:

Login with Vk.com Open API
Giving Microsoft some love with omniauth
Official Single-Sign-On for Discourse (sso)
(Sam Saffron) #44

We have carried too much pain over the years with the plugin I think the best thing for us to do here is just make an official plugin from @stereobooster’s fork, make sure it supports all the fancy features @david added like associating an exiting login. @pmusaraj will take care of this and update the OP once done.

With 500 million users, VK is even bigger than Twitter. Might as well make this official.

(Dmitry Krasnoperov) #47

Smart move :wink:

T H A N K S!

(Dmitry Krasnoperov) #49

Any updates soon yet?

(David Taylor) #51

Hi @Dmitry_Krasnoperov, this was delayed while I created some documentation, which took me a lot longer than planned.

@pmusaraj if you are still happy to take this, the documentation can now be found here. Let me know if there’s anything missing.

(Penar Musaraj) #52

Thanks David, I’m still happy to take this, will work on it shortly.

(Penar Musaraj) #53

@Dmitry_Krasnoperov please try the plugin above and let me know if you run into any issues. I tested it locally and briefly on a live site, and it works well both for new logins and for matching existing accounts (if the account has an email).

On a technical note, I started with a fork of @stereobooster’s version, but switched to a separate plugin along the way, because the new ManagedAuthenticator abstraction made most of the initial plugin redundant.

(David Taylor) #54

Glad to hear it :slight_smile: Let me know if you have any feedback on using it, or on the documentation.

(Penar Musaraj) #55

It worked quite smoothly, and the documentation was great too. Thanks!

(Dmitry Krasnoperov) #57

It works great for me.
Thanks