Voice recording plugin

Is it somehow possible to integrate Google’s voice recorder app into Discourse? Here is what I mean:

4 Likes

Is there a plugin like this that works?

2 Likes

AFAIK no. But there is very little real need either. Almost everyone has a recorder in pocket. And after that it is just matter of upload another mediafile.

3 Likes

You have to open the recorder application, save the file, then browse for the file and upload it.
And the other option would be to press a button, press it again when you’re done and everything is done automatically.
I think such a plugin would be very important for the forum. If WhatsApp didn’t have voice recorder and Telegram did. Everyone would use Telegram

2 Likes

What do you do with photos and videos, something else than with audio :wink: Where is the difference?

Perhaps two quick messaging systems aren’t totally same as forum? Or do you have audio recording in your webmail client? So, this is a bit same as oranges and apples.

But sure, it would be nice if there would be such function. Do you want give a guess why it is so rare and youb can’t find it in Facebook, Twitter, WordPress or without heavy (and expensive) customization in Moodle?

It is useful when doing podcast-style OP, but with answers it is difficult. Everyone have to listen every time.

And… users don’t use it almost never.

2 Likes

I would like to opensource the commercial version of this plugin with a unique version of the player.

The recorder is working with a previous Discourse version (except Apple devices), and the visual player is disabled because caching of the visual pics is not done but is possible.

The player should look like this:

Functions list:

• audio visualization
  • speed control
  • volume control
  • download button
  • caching the visualization pics

Does anybody want to continue its’ development in an opensource mode and support the plugin with future updates?

2 Likes

Is it very difficult to add support for these devices?
otherwise, this is a very large number of users who use the Apple devices :frowning:

3 Likes

There is a problem concerning CORS policy.

2 Likes

Well, I can record using Apple in Moodle.

There is no point to do it with semi directly from forum (and not with androids either) because recording and uploading media is still totally same job as taking a picture and uploading it to forum :wink:

The most biggest issue is wav, because Apple doesn’t do mp3. Sure, it can be converted on server level, but it is one phase more.

3 Likes

What I would like to get, is a plugin that

• convert wav to mp3 or ogg if mediafile is wav
  • will move audio file to S3 away from Discourse

Now my work flow is:

• record using iPhone
  • wav → mp3 using one app
  • uploading to S3
  • linking to topic

I can do that, Any of my users won’t (well, users will to use audio is overrated big time, though :rofl: )

3 Likes

Here’s an interim solution! Audio is just video without images.

2 Likes

Hi, i clicked on the record button and it just gives a dark screen, on desktop and mobile

2 Likes

It’s a broken plugin currently

3 Likes

Will this plugin be fix? :disapproval:

2 Likes
  1. I would like to contribute more to Discourse, I would like to translate the plugin. Discourse is an interesting piece of software and this plugin is awesome.
  2. I would like to be a good software developer, one way I thought would be to translate plugins in Discourse.
  3. I can send a pull request if you like
  4. I accessed this link, is this link official for the plugin: GitHub - synweap15/discourse-voice-record: Voice recording plugin for Discourse ?

my idea

• client.ptbr.yml:
ptbr:
  js:
    composer:
      composer_audio_upload_button_title:  "Gravar & enviar arquivo de áudio"
    composer_audio_upload:
      button_text: "Gravar & enviar áudio"
      title: "Gravar & enviar áudio"
  • server.ptbr.yml:
ptbr:
  site_settings:
    composer_audio_upload_enabled: 'Permitir o envio de áudio no Composer'
2 Likes

This plugin is in the category #plugin:broken-plugin. So it does not work anymore. Why do you want to translate it?

3 Likes

I thought this was the main thread for the plugin and would like to contribute something. Is there any version that is stable and ok? Is there any version of this official plugin that is working?

2 Likes

This plugin is no longer compatible with the latest Discourse. The theme component has exactly the same functionality and is compatible with latest Discourse. It’s a porting of the plugin code.

Please make any comments there :slight_smile:

5 Likes

thank you very much for information.

2 Likes