Voting in polls directly by email

We’ve all seen the support emails with the “how satisfied were you with our service?” type question directly in the email - here’s one I got today from getflow.com.

To improve participation in polls, it would be interesting if it were possible to see all poll options directly in the email notification, and be able to click the poll option you want to vote for directly in the email. You’d then be taken to the poll with your vote already counted. Like this:

Additionally, it would be interesting to be able to share just a poll in a PM (existing community member) or email (not yet a member) to ask them to vote in the poll. To make this happen it appears we’d have to use a different syntax that displays the poll e.g. [poll topic=nnn name=foobar].

10 Likes

Does anyone have any wise insights on how to share just a poll in another topic or PM? This seems to be the only thing holding me back. Right now, when I quote a poll in another topic it displays in plain text without the poll. See screenshots.

How the poll should look:

How it actually looks in quoted text:

And from a colleague. Maybe we are trying to squeeze too much use out of discourse polls which were intended for something else. But I still like the idea of using discourse polls so we can leverage all the other anti-spam and increased meaningfulness benefits as we do with embedded comments.

In my ideal world, the vote up/down funtionality is essentially a “widget” with a unique up/down link for each resource…so we could embed it in various places (email, wordpress, discourse, etc.)

1 Like

Yes @tobiaseigen! I think this is a great idea, thanks!

I also tried to edit the text of staff post such as the ‘pinned topic’ or ‘closed topic’ and add the poll there but unfortunately there too it appears as ‘text’

2 Likes

Wow, this is an old topic! :older_man:

I don’t create polls much anymore in my new role here at Discourse.org, so am not even sure how the feature has evolved. But I am fairly certain the ability to answer polls by email was never added. We lean toward giving people who log in the best experience.

At the Legal Empowerment Network where we were looking into doing polls we rely more on email to reach our members so we moved to a mailchimp/wordpress gravity forms solution to ask them to come to the website to fill out a longish survey. We also set up a gravity forms to do a net promoter score survey periodically when people log in, both in discourse and wordpress. That worked fairly well.

I’m not sure what you mean here - can you share a screenshot? I think pinned topics should still show correctly. But you can’t edit the post containing the poll once you’ve saved it, as explained in How to Create Polls.

Bannerizing a poll doesn’t work. It displays the questions and number of answers, but doesn’t let you actually answer the poll. This is a known issue.

3 Likes

I am actually quite open to doing something minimal here that just makes this a lot less confusing.

Simply render the poll nicely with the text:

To vote on the poll please visit: LINK TO SITE

At least it makes it super clear what is going on and users do not scratch head about [poll] in email text :exploding_head:

2 Likes