What hosting providers support sending 200k or more emails per month?

Thanks Richard, unfortunately, we’re going to exceed the 500k Pageviews /month limit in the professional package, and we need Custom Plugins, so the lowest one that suits you is Business – being a non-for-profit, we cannot afford that.

Btw, do you get into an IP blacklists management nightmare because of the complimentary email sending you provide?

2 Likes

Can you please PM me with more details about your community and your requirements?

Once Discourse starts sending email, the forum has a pretty good opt-in. We only had two issues - ever.

The first issue was about a customer sending large amount of bulk invites to people that did not realize they opted in for this. (They actually did).

The second issue was when a forum that was converted from a mailing list started sending weekly digests to michelle @sorbs.net - of all people.

4 Likes

I ended up installing my own Mail-in-a-Box email in a $5/mo DigitalOcean droplet, and now can send infinite number of emails provided I comply with all regulations, SPAM-CAN etc. I’m not dependent on those mail services anymore, yahoo! And my spendings are limited to $5/mo. I can also add unlimited domains to my Mail-in-a-box instance.

9 Likes

UPD. Mail-in-a-Box is still serving me very well for multiple Discourse instances, as well as WordPress transactional email.

What I wanted to add as an update is that I’ve also been managing two Discourse instances for nonprofits, and for those I’m using SendGrid through Azure nonprofit credits, which is $3500/year, so basically free - more reliable and even cheaper than mail-in-a-box.

For another org I’m using Discourse for Project Management, and this is yet another case when going with mail-in-a-box is a safe solution since you don’t expect any ads or occasional spammy messages; therefore:

1. your mail-in-a-box IP won’t repeatedly get blacklisted
  2. all team members can whitelist the email address
6 Likes