What is the best way to create an ask me anything website using discourse?

(Mawi Raura) #1

I’d like to build a website where every week we host a public figure who responds to people’s questions about their work/career.

What is the best way to implement it using discourse? I was thinking the public figure’s name can be used as a category so every question for reach particular one is easily seen.

(Steve Pavlina) #2

I think that approach could work, but then you’d end up with about 50 categories being added every year, which would be a lot of categories. That sounds like overkill.

You could just have a single thread/topic for each public figure, and then let the Q&A be done as replies to that topic. Then you’d only need one category for all of them.

(Joe Buhlig) #3

Take a look at this thread. There are some golden nuggets in there:

(Mawi Raura) #4

True. However what if, after each topic’s closure,they were to get bundled into one big category such that only active ama’s were visible as topics?

(Mawi Raura) #5

Thanks Joe. That was helpful

(Vinoth Kannan) #6

I will use tags instead of categories. So all the topics will be go on Uncategorized with public figure’s tag.

Also I will change the topic template of the Uncategorized category just like below.

Hi @JustinBiber,

Mentioning him will send notification about new topics. And I will keep changing it for every public figure’s change.

(Mawi Raura) #7

Thanks vinothkannans. Could you explain the notifications bit?

(Vinoth Kannan) #8

By default, Discourse will send notification when someone mentioned you using the username (for example: @Mawi_Raura). So when the topic template having mentioned with username of public figure he will get notification.