What is the recommended practice for WordPress and Discourse on the same server?

I know a lot of Discourse users are using WordPress as their blog/CMS, so I’m hoping for some knowledge & experience exchange.

I’m trying to ascertain if there is some kind of recommended practice for running WordPress and Discourse on the same (Dockerized) server. I doubt this mini-how-to is still relevant.

Why are we on a single (dedicated) server?
As an open source project we got ourselves free dedicated hosting with plenty of power to accommodate both WordPress and Discourse.

What’s the problem?
Running WordPress in a Docker container was more difficult than we anticipated (for reasons which I can hopefully elaborate on later). We ended up running WordPress outside of Docker, but because of Docker & Discourse’s presence, this proved difficult as well.

All very vague, I know, but it’s exactly because our setup ended up being quite non-standard that I haven’t been able to wrap my head around it yet.

1 Like

We may recommend WordPress in Docker but only because it will familiarize you with how Discourse runs in Docker, too. What exactly is the problem? This is extremely vague.

3 Likes

I’ll try get more info.

It’s not so much a problem I need solving though. This is just a small knowledge-quest. If someone’s been in a similar situation and came up with a set-up they’re happy with, do share. If I come up empty, no biggie.

1 Like

I think that the only thing non-typical with Wordpress would be that you should use the nginx php runner instead of Apache. (This also gives you a central location for rules that would go into .htaccess files.)

1 Like

This topic can (also) be closed in favour of the canonical answer here:

1 Like