What would you like to see on your Discourse 2.0 Admin Dashboard?

I had a client ask today for category-level stats (likes, views, posts, etc).

8 Likes

I like all the stats which are already there, really helpful :heart: I’m toying with the idea to have fancy metric graphs, either a circle or just the one you’re providing for the traffic lines. Stats are more beautiful when visualized imho.

Thinking of Kibana a bit here - what if Discourse had “dashlets” which can be dragged/dropped, and users are free to modify their admin dashboard?

This could also involve more custom metrics, including SQL-like searches similar to the badges.
Or tag clouds with the most searched words.
Or traffic charts directly on screen.

I know that this is probably way over the top, but you are already doing great stuff. I could do that with the Prometheus plugin and collect the metrics with Icinga, forward it to Graphite/Grafana … still the main dashboard is what I open the most.

Here’s an example how we’re visualizing performance metrics and logs in Kibana, to get an idea what I mean. I’ve seen that you’ve been blogging about Elastic Stack already.

There’s no need to make the dashboard really dynamic, just some “widgets” would be a cool and fancy addition. That is a “killer” screenshot on discourse.org then too.

Such a dashboard “query” could also be exposed via API, just thinking. Or being added specifically to the Prometheus plugin.

I also like the idea of moving the menu text entries into overview icons. Still I think there are too many menu entries today, it is faster to navigate in the menu right on, than to move the mouse onto the dashboard.

Cheers,
Michael

2 Likes

This is generally done through third party analytics such as Google Analytics – be sure you have set that up by entering your analytics ID in your site settings.

I do have GA on my instance.

To me, the discourse dashboard is a succinct window into my community. I really like it. Just a tiny bit more filtering would be nice.

4 Likes

The data in the dashboard is excellent for reviewing key metrics at a glance, but if you are porting the data into excel/sheets for custom weekly or monthly summaries to distribute it can be clunky. If I want to pull daily data for each stat category I need to enter each one and either export or copy/paste. Would love it if I could select a date range and export a set number of days from all (or a group of select) stats and get one CSV with several columns of data.

What you need is the Data Explorer Plugin.

5 Likes

Looks like I had it but didn’t even realize it was there. I’m not very good writing SQL. Has anyone posted a simple query to pull daily details for the 25ish stat categories that are displayed on the admin dashboard?

2 Likes

Not certain - but I’d check out What cool data explorer queries have you come up with? to get some ideas where to start.

3 Likes

I’m a SQL newbie as well and was a bit intimidated by Data Explorer at first but it’s super cool, there’s a side panel reference where you can browse all the data tables / column names, and one click export.

Also that thread @jomaxro linked has a ton of great examples. Someone (I forget who but I think it’s in that thread somewhere) even made a github repo collecting all the queries in one place, super easy to copy paste and test them all to play around w/ it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And it’s read only, so no matter how stupid your query is, you can’t really hurt anything.

8 Likes

I’d love to see stats on replies made by email - count, trend, and as a percentage of total posts.

1 Like

I recently created a thread on this actually :rofl:

I’d love to have more out-of-the-box metrics about our users (# interactions, replies, messages, reply times, etc).

These are super helpful in customer-centric organizations.

1 Like

Yup, coming soon to admin dashboard 2.0

19 Likes

Be good to add an optional trend line to all existing graphs where it makes sense.

8 Likes

Or to have it as a checkbox to display one or not.

2 Likes

I like the way Grytics lays it out…

• the ability to export everything in csv to generate reports or nice pdf to bring to a quick meeting.
  • I really like the way they show the top performers so you know who your most valuable contributors are at a glance.
  • I like to see the top conversations in a specific time period so you know what content really connects with your audience
  • The number of “active members”
  • I like how they lay it out pretty simple, but allow you to click-through each metric to dive deeper.

Basically, everything they show is very helpful and informative for someone focusing on growing a community

11 Likes

I think a good metric would be the number of unique contributors.

I’ve been working up a localhost PHP script that works with the Users CSV export file.

One thing that I think has potential wide spread usefulness is what I’m calling “longevity” or “retention”. So far it:

• tests for the existence of created_at and last_seen_at
  • converts created_at to timestamp
  • converts last_seen_at to timestamp
  • subtracts created_at from last_seen_at
  • switch-case increments year+, year, month, week, day, hour betweens and less than hour counts

So far it is only an overall “snapshot” and isn’t intervals, but nonetheless gives interesting results.

2 Likes

I may have missed a comment about this, but here goes. While I realize I can get some similar data from my analytics, the following would be great to be able to access from the admin dashboard.

Under the “Top Traffic Sources” and “Top Referrers” section, it would be great if you could click to see what topics are having the highest traffic for that given point or month. It would also be great to be able to see a longitudinal history (longer than 30 days) for those two sections as well.

Any news or prototype of the dashboard? :slight_smile:

1 Like