What's the best word to describe "typical" topic notification state

OK so

• Default isn’t possible because it implies the notification state is set to your default in your preferences, and that’s not true.

• “Not Tracked” is a bit of a non-statement with regards to what notifications actually occur. There are notifications in the typical state for quotes, @name mentions, and direct replies.

• “Regular” conflicts with the user trust level of the same name

That leaves Normal. So the standard, typical topic notification state is now

Normal

You will be notified if someone mentions your @name or replies to you.

5 Likes

But doesn’t “tracking” mean that Discourse lists the topic in https://meta.discourse.org/unread? I mean, that’s the only difference between the current “Normal” and “Tracking” states (that I know of at least).

I still favor “Not Tracking” because, as @jspautsch said:

1 Like

Well there is a difference between

Insane
Not Insane
Sane

Just adding a “not” does not tell the whole story, does it? :massage:

1 Like

I’m curious, what is the difference between “Sane” and “Not Insane”?

1 Like

Not Insane means only that you are not insane, it says nothing about whether you are actually sane.

In other words, there is a continuum of sanity just like there is a continuum of notifications…

2 Likes

Okay, I understand what you mean. “Not Tracking” could also mean “Watching”, although your example isn’t the because because, by conventional definition, sanity and insanity are binary (i.e. there is no in-between or beyond).

You sure about that :wink:

It’s still a flawed analogy because IMO sanity is a continuum, while topic tracking state is enumerated / discrete.

But that’s what you get with analogies…

1 Like