Will disable_jump_reply make a return?

The thing is that none of these things are ‘bad habits’, they are simply things you don’t agree with. Not washing hands after going to the loo is a bad habit because you endanger others with germs; having topics where posts can be replied to without the need to read the rest of the posts in the topic is simply a different situation to one you prefer.

One of the useful things about this site is that you get the link down to replies to a post. This means you can immediately see if a given specifically targeted post has been addressed. There might be 300 posts below the one I’m reading but if there’s no
under it then I can safely reply knowing I don’t need to read the rest of it.

While it might be nice to assume that all Topics can work in the same way, be narrow and specific, it’s simply not practical to assume that is the way all communities will work. DrownedInSound has a morning thread and an evening thread every day that generate several 100 posts of chat between members. Essentially they are miscellaneous topics and they work well as a sort of cowcatcher for posts that might otherwise not fit in existing topics.

5 Likes