Custom route not being indexed/appearing in crawler view

Continued from: Creating Routes in Discourse and Showing Data

Sorry for necro posting, but this seems to be relevant place to ask…
After following this and other tutorials about creating a route and showing data

I replicated this for a non admin /snack a page, and it works, and it shows my data perfectly!
So it looks something like this:

...</header>

<h1>donut</h1>

<hr>

<p>delicious!</p>

<footer>...

But i just realized, this page is not indexed, crawled, sitemapped, seo’ed etc etc anywhere, and apparently its because discourse pages have a non js, “crawler view” versions…

So… after following the above tutorial, Where to go from here to show the same data on a “crawler view”, non js version of that page?

Right now non js version looks like this:

...</header>

empty

<footer>...

It says “empty” with an actual text… that is because it loads default empty.html.erb, right? How to make it show our { name: "donut", description: "delicious!" } instead? :slight_smile:

Tried some stuff from google, but nothing useful…
Stuff like… respond_to do… and format.html… and format.json…
And different kinds of render plain, text, html…
Nothing…

:frowning:

Separate .html.erb template for non js view maybe?
How to name it? Where to place it? How to get { name: "donut", description: "delicious!" } to it?

:frowning:

Help :grinning:

I don’t know. But you definitely need a non js template. What happens if you visit the page with javascript off?

1 Like

It shows the usual non js page… header… footer…

But thats as expected, since every tutorial only covers how to feed json data to a ember template…

1 Like

JavaScript only pages are not crawled afair.

You might want to take a look at something I was working on:

1 Like

Why are you showing me that? ^^
I was asking about the Creating Routes in Discourse and Showing Data tutorial…
I followed it
I have a route
I have data: { name: "donut", description: "delicious!" }
The route reads json and shows that data

How to get that same data, to the crawler page?

How does another version of static page plugin helps me with that? ^^ There is a number of static page plugins out there, mostly dead and abandoned. So… yay… another one…

I found a topic with the same question, How to transfer data from plugin to app/views templates?
And noone helped him either ^^
And it seems the guy solution was to stop using discourse ^^

Is that the only “real” solution? :slight_smile:

It’s a plugin for Discourse which ultimately renders back-end templates which are exposed to crawlers and have their own routes, that’s the reason. Perhaps you could:

1. use it
  2. adapt it for your needs?

Thinking about it, you’re best to check out the vanilla plugin, without the extensions:

But as you please.

1 Like

So you clearly know how to do it…
Cant you just show how to do it? ^^

Like “to make donut delicious! appear on crawler page too, add this tiny line of code to this specific file”…
Done…

Or its illegal to help here? ^^
If its too complex or hackish and needs 20 new files created with hundreds and hundreds lines of unreadable garbage code, then sure, might be reasonable to go with alternative solutions… ^^