Reader Mode

:discourse2: Summary Reader Mode enables a focused reader experience within Discourse topics
:eyeglasses: Preview Preview on Discourse Theme Creator
:hammer_and_wrench: Repository https://github.com/discourse/reader-mode
:open_book: New to Discourse Themes? Beginner’s guide to using Discourse Themes

Install this theme component

Features

This theme component adds a “reader mode” button to the topic timeline. “Reader mode” places the emphasis on the written word and lets the other UI elements fade into the background for a more focused reading experience. Users also have the option to choose from various fonts, adjust text size and reading width, and change to their preferred background colour

Settings

Name Descriptions
svg icons

:discourse2: Hosted by us? Theme components are available to use on our Standard, Business, and Enterprise plans.

Last edited by @JammyDodger 2024-06-13T23:03:38Z

Check documentPerform check on document:
21 Likes

I really love option to change font size :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Bummer that component is not for mobiles.

5 Likes

Happy to see this officially released :slight_smile: :tada:

Is it possible to match the fonts in reader mode to the font-list of the platform? For example, we’re using Open Sans, but that’s not an option on the font dropdown for Reader Mode. Would be a nice touch to have the same list of fonts to choose from. :slight_smile:

Edit: I’m also noticing that topics which use Discourse TOC, but do not have a reply are not showing the Reader Mode Icon.

You can see an example here:

However as soon as there is at least one reply, the Timeline, ToC and Reader Mode seem to appear as expected.

1 Like

Am I crazy? I don’t see the icon that is included in the topics’s screenshot:

Probably not!

Just try a different theme (I would recommend default, meta branded or air)

2 Likes

Ah, yep, that solved it. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve added it to all the themes now. :+1: Not sure if it was missed off some on purpose but I’ll wait for the complaints to roll in to find out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Could you add the function for guests too? Currently it’s only for registered and logged in Users.

An implementetion for mobile also would be great.

Thanks for this great component :slight_smile: