Proposal for displaying reply context in Discourse topics
metroidsnes proposed a feature to show some context of the message being replied to, similar to Discord, instead of needing to click on the “replied to” button. This would provide instant clarity on what message is being replied to.
jimkleiber mentioned that they achieved a similar result in the chat function by modifying the chat template but found it challenging to maintain due to frequent template changes. They expressed interest in having this feature as an option in the core.
merefield pointed out that the current system does provide some context, but it’s hidden behind a click. They noted that selecting the relevant part of a long post could be a challenge. Falco shared that this feature is already implemented in their chat system.
metroidsnes clarified that they would be satisfied with simply displaying the first line (about 100 characters) of the post being replied to in plain sight, eliminating the need for an additional click.
Hi, I would like to propose a feature where the “replied to” icon contains some context of the message so that it’s instantly apparent what message is being replied to instead of needing to press the button in order to display the content.
Currently on Discourse it’s like this:
And on Discord it’s like this:
“some example message” is the content from the post that’s being replied to.
Not sure if you mean in the Discourse chat function. If you do, then I figured out how to do it before by modifying the chat template, but the chat template kept changing so much that I got tired of updating it for each change.
If that’s what you meant and want to know more how I did it, let me know and I’ll post more here.
Ideally, I’d also prefer it was an option in core. I love how WhatsApp and Signal and I think most chat apps show the message in the reply indicator.
yeah, what I want is to not need to click the button, just to have the first line (like a 100 chars) of the post being replied to in plain sight. That would satisfy my needs.