Social Architecture - Building On-line Communities

I agree. I say that a lot over on FeverBee. I do not BS. To do so puts everyone at a disadvantage with what I feel so strongly, passionately.

But I would not go so low as to take someone–by name; even if a fictional name to save their face–and pummel them in a manner befitting a bully, and in a book to endeavor to bring people together.

I do not hate or dislike Pieter.

I can dislike his behavior, independent of what he has accomplished. And those accomplishments, I feel, do not give a ticket to berate for further accomplishments (or have someone like me call them out like the BS I feel it be).

I do not think even Jeff or anyone else on the Discourse team has written something like that. Sure, some like Jeff be abrasive when he wanna be. Some of it I dislike, even when not directed at me per se.

Never have I seen him berate anyone like that. (Hey, you got examples, I will apologize for assuming otherwise and being so strong in this conviction.)

And I stand right next to you and agree. In that moment, to outright announce thus accept a terminal illness with that kind of confidence to stare it down and give it the middle finger be the art of someone who does not cozy up to BS; they say it how they think it be, and to possibly help others stand too if they ever face this kind of life-changing act of nature.

I admire that.

I can still like someone and not agree with some of their preferences in what they consider BS, what really matters in life to be considered BS and to call it out in a publication that requires a sense of tact to also uphold credibility to the subject itself, considering what that subject be, in this particular instance.

However, if this book be a manifesto to how he accomplished his goals in forming an online community (like a memoir), then, I can truly understand the aim of this book as I did not see that viewpoint previously, upon first glance.

2 Likes