1 to 1 PM vs Group Messaging

(ginger man) #1

Is there a way to completely block 1 to 1 PM for users but only allow Group Messaging with admin (for private email support)

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Yes, this is already (mostly) possible, just disable PMs in site settings, because staff can always PM no matter what.

(ginger man) #3

Thanks. But I actually want the other way around. I would have a Support link in the front page pointing to the prefilled support group message. If I disable PM in the global settings, can a user (not staff) initiate a message to this group for support with that link?

Just to add : Idea is to encourage public contribution but still provide support when needed.

(ginger man) #4

Can anyone help me understand if the above use case is possible.

(Jay Pfaffman) #5

How about “quiet help” category ("topic templates allow you to have a pre-filled message with category) that is suppressed from the front page (there’s a check-box for that in category settings).

What you really want, I think, is to set a category’s permissions to allow people to create, but not read or reply to messages (that are not their own). I don’t think that’s on the road map. :slight_smile:

(ginger man) #6

Thanks. In an Ideal world I would want to achieve that with your second option…I know it is not in the roadmap.

With the new developments in the Group Messaging, it is almost there. I just want to know if a normal user can send a group message even if he is not allowed to send individual PM.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

This is possible if you let Discourse handle the email address. @zogstrip is planning to write a howto on this in the next two weeks.

(ginger man) #8

This is interesting. Can you explain that ?

(RĂ©gis Hanol) #9

Here’s the howto for the anyone interested :wink:

(RĂ©gis Hanol) #10