£3 Discourse hosting questions

(Gabor Meszaros) #3

So you say that 10GB space is no go. I should consider then Scaleway’s offer. Maybe I can start with that and later if I have any issues with the performance, I can buy another VPS somewhere else and move the content there (as I understand it is quite straightforward with Discourse: export + import).

Is it something that can work?

(Régis Hanol) #4

Yup, that’s pretty straightforward. The harder part will be changing the DNS :wink:

(Gabor Meszaros) #5

What do you mean? Isn’t it just change the CNAME record to somewhere else?

(Régis Hanol) #6

Yes, that’s the “hard” part :wink:

(Gabor Meszaros) #7

Ah, I see. Thanks for the confirmation then! :slight_smile:

What?! 12GB of backup? I think there is something wrong. In another discussion @pfaffman wrote this to me.

(Martial) #9

Not 12GB of backup, 12GB with backup. A backup take 500mo for me so considering Discourse take between 9GB to 11GB. I started from version 1.5 and made all the update to 1.7 beta4 :slight_smile:

Ah, OK I see. Did you cleaned your previous docker containers? And how many backup do you store on your server?

(Martial) #11

I cleanup with .\launcher cleanup, Discourse use 9.7GB with two backup. I have 1000 topics, 10000 messages, 200 users, 400mo of download files (images), this is why the backup take 500mo :slight_smile:

The images inside the container :

And the space taken by Discourse :

This is why i say 10gb is not enough :imp:

You want more : :laughing:

du -sh /var/discourse/
2.3G    /var/discourse/
du -sh /var/lib/docker
5.2G    /var/lib/docker

(Jay Pfaffman) #12

You know? Those images were not in the backups.

What do you mean by those images?

(Jay Pfaffman) #14

In the quot d post I claimed there were 7000 images and 230k posts, but i just remembered that the images were on an external server, so those images were not part of the backup.

Oh… May I ask you is it possible to upload images to imgur? How do you use external server? I just saw some imgur text in translation files, but couldn’t find it in discourse admin panel…

(Jay Pfaffman) #16

In the default configuration, if you link to an external image, discourse will copy the image locally to be a good citizen and protect against link rot. You can change that setting, though. Search settings for “download”, I think.

I don’t know if any way to have discourse upload to imgur, but there are things that I don’t know.

(cpradio) #17

Discourse used to permit uploading to imgur, but it was removed

It is recommended to use S3 for storing images, if you are image heavy.

OMG… There is nothing left to say. Docker or discourse, I don’t know… Consumes too much disk. I need to find a way around it. Because I don’t want to pay for another server.

(Martial) #19

Come on ! 5$ per month to run a beautiful, reliable, convenient, secured, constantly updated, open source forum… this is not so much regarding all this points :yum:

(Jay Pfaffman) #20

I haven’t done the math, but now that Digital Ocean has their 100GB/$10/month volumes, that’s a simpler way to configure things. That Amazon stuff is a twisty maze of passages that all look alike.

I’d like to configure discourse-setup so that it would recognize a volume if it was mounted and automatically put uploads (and maybe bacukps?) there. It just occurred to me, though, that if uploads was a symlink to /mnt/thevolume/standalone/backups that backups might not follow that symlink. (I haven’t looked).

hahaha lel :stuck_out_tongue: But we cannot ignore that Discourse(or docker or whatever) uses much resource, right :frowning: By the way, how much does it cost for storing images in S3 monthly?

(Martial) #22

I didn’t use S3, i just remove the automatic upload of the external image and delete all backup manually. If an user want to upload he can or he can also use an external service like imgur. This way, 20gb is suffisant. For 200 users, S3 is a bit overkill for us :slight_smile: