502 Bad Gateway - Newbie help needed

I updated my forum to the latest version earlier this week and it was working fine - but then this morning I get 502 Bad Gateway message…

My technical knowledge is minimal and I’m wondering what could be the cause and how I resolve this?

For info, when I updated the site there initially seemed to be a problem but then it went through ok - but then I did not need to do this:

cd /var/discourse
git pull
./launcher rebuild app

which I normally do need to do for major updates… Could this be related to the problem?

Or could it be the problem is with Digital Ocean where the site is hosted? I see they are experiencing some problems.

Any advice on what I need to do get the site working again, much appreciated.

That error code is very generic…you need to check the logs and give us more information

Still battling with the 502 bad gateway error whenever i access the admin dashboard. I guess discourse needs to check their latest updates for bugs…

Thanks. Is there somewhere that tells me how to check the logs (my droplet is on Digital Ocean)? Sorry, as I said, my technical knowledge is minimal…

I’ve solved this by running:

cd /var/discourse
git pull
./launcher rebuild app

BTW, when I was updating to the latest versions a couple of days ago, I got a message half way through the install to say there was a problem… but then I waited and when I checked back it said all the updates were up to date… so I assumed all was ok. Anyway it is all working fine again now.

2 Likes