553 Envelope From email address not allowed error

Hello everyone,

I just set up a discourse server for the first time and i think ive gotten everything correct, except i had to use the cd /var/discourse ./launcher enter app rake admin:create

command to be able to get into the site as emails would not send out to creat the admin account.

After getting into the site and looking at settings>emails>skipped its showing everything thats been sent has been skipped for “553 Envelope FROM email address not allowed”
I tried searching here and havent really found anything helpful. does anyone know what this means or how to fix it?
I am willing to provide logs if you can just tell me which logs and where they should be located (I am quite new to things like this, so any guidance at all is appreciated)

Thank you in advance

Im going to go ahead and reply to this as i just got it working.

So for the solution i used i edited the app.yml here:

If you want to set the ‘From’ email address for your first registration, uncomment and change:

#- exec: rails r "SiteSetting.notification_email='noreply@example.com'"
## After getting the first signup email, re-comment the line. It only needs to run once.

on mine, it was not noreply@example, (tbh i already forgot what it was, but it was a very obviously nonworking thing) to noreply@domain.com, then i made sure to make an alias with my email provider for the noreply.
after ./launcher rebuild app and a reload of the website emails are now sending.

Hopefully this will help others with this issue

4 Likes

Something was wrong with your install, if you follow our official install guide the return address is set correctly as part of the setup questions that are asked by the setup script.

3 Likes