8 Tips to Improve Your Community’s SEO | Blog

Helping people find your community takes time and patience. It also takes a little knowledge about search engines, how they work, and how people locate your community through them.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.discourse.org/2021/10/forum-seo
12 Likes

People tend to forget this part. :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for the blog :smiley:

5 Likes

Very nice post, but you didn’t address a question often asked about forum hosting: How does being a sub-domain affect SEO?

2 Likes

I believe we have a follow up post in the works which will address some of the technicalities, but in short – subfolder installs have no SEO benefit over subdomain installs.

7 Likes

Thanks, @HAWK. My own search also supports the ideas that sub-domain offers no SEO advantage. I look forward to the follow up post by an expert to get more technical insight.

3 Likes

This one? Handling SEO for Discourse Communities | Blog

2 Likes

Thanks, @HAWK . this article explains it very well (and I am in agreement).

One thing to add, maybe the blog may want to add too: SEO essentially nowadays means only Google search. Google’s entire edifice of business stands on its search engine. Hence, Google is not going to tell the world exactly how it’s search engine works–that’s it bread and butter. All they will tell is few facts with sufficient generality, more to spur some action from site creators rather than give deep insight. So all SEO advice, though correct, is only an approximation of google search engine. It is–at the end of the day–an approximation high-level view of the search and rank algorithm. This algorithm, it should be added, is ever-evolving–often on a daily basis.

5 Likes

Yup, agreed. Good call.

4 Likes