A strange symbol before the name of my community

Hello,

I’ve just created my first Discourse site to give my readers and Patrons an alternative place to comment, and I’ve been having a tremendously positive experience, both with Discourse overall and the WP-Discourse plugin.

In my tests, it does everything I hoped it would, including allowing me to keep the Disqus comments under the page in addition to the Discourse comments while I transition my readers over to the new community.

There is only one odd thing I’ve noticed. On my site, the plugin is adding a weird circle-with-an-x symbol before the name of my community, like this:

I’m sure it’s something obvious that I’ve missed, but I’ve checked my settings on my Wordpress site, and I don’t see any extra symbols that I’ve added in the text fields.

I had updated to the latest version of Discourse and this plugin before running my first tests tonight, so I’m running the latest versions of everything.

How should I troubleshoot this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated because, besides this one, weird thing, everything else seems to work like a charm. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

That looks like something added with CSS, perhaps? Did you check your site’s CSS in your browser F12 inspector?

Doesn’t look like anything to do with Discourse.

4 Likes

If you can send me a link to a post that is happening on, I’ll take a look.

Thank you, Simon. I reactivated the plugin. You can find an example on this page:

Just scroll down to just below the big, green Patreon ad. The Discourse comments are just below that.

I appreciate your help with this. Please let me know if you need anything else.

1 Like

There is some CSS being added by your theme or a plugin with this rule:

.comment-reply-title a:before {
    font: 100%/1 awesome;
    content: '\f057';
    padding: 0 .25rem 0 0;
}

The easiest thing to do would be to find that CSS and remove it. You could also add a CSS rule that targets .discourse-comments-area .comment-reply-title a:before and sets the content to ''.

3 Likes