A strange symbol before the name of my community

(Alex Woolfson) #1

Hello,

I’ve just created my first Discourse site to give my readers and Patrons an alternative place to comment, and I’ve been having a tremendously positive experience, both with Discourse overall and the WP-Discourse plugin.

In my tests, it does everything I hoped it would, including allowing me to keep the Disqus comments under the page in addition to the Discourse comments while I transition my readers over to the new community.

There is only one odd thing I’ve noticed. On my site, the plugin is adding a weird circle-with-an-x symbol before the name of my community, like this:

I’m sure it’s something obvious that I’ve missed, but I’ve checked my settings on my Wordpress site, and I don’t see any extra symbols that I’ve added in the text fields.

I had updated to the latest version of Discourse and this plugin before running my first tests tonight, so I’m running the latest versions of everything.

How should I troubleshoot this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated because, besides this one, weird thing, everything else seems to work like a charm. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

(Jeff Atwood) #2

That looks like something added with CSS, perhaps? Did you check your site’s CSS in your browser F12 inspector?

Doesn’t look like anything to do with Discourse.

(Simon Cossar) #3

If you can send me a link to a post that is happening on, I’ll take a look.

(Alex Woolfson) #4

Thank you, Simon. I reactivated the plugin. You can find an example on this page:

Just scroll down to just below the big, green Patreon ad. The Discourse comments are just below that.

I appreciate your help with this. Please let me know if you need anything else.

(Simon Cossar) #5

There is some CSS being added by your theme or a plugin with this rule:

.comment-reply-title a:before {
    font: 100%/1 awesome;
    content: '\f057';
    padding: 0 .25rem 0 0;
}

The easiest thing to do would be to find that CSS and remove it. You could also add a CSS rule that targets .discourse-comments-area .comment-reply-title a:before and sets the content to ''.

(Jeff Atwood) #6