Ability to mention a Group

(Andrew Stroup) #1

Is there a way to mention an entire group in a post? Maybe I’m missing it, but I don’t see how you either do this or enable it (although there’s vague mention of this capability in another post Show name of @Mentioned group inside topics). Thanks!

(Jeff Atwood) #2

There is a ghetto way to do it by enabling group expansion, but this means mentioning a group simply replaces your text with 25 distinct @name mentions. (Assuming the group had 25 members)

Can you describe the use case a little more clearly, with an example? The thing we worry about is people spamming large groups with group mentions.

(Andrew Stroup) #3

Ah, makes sense, thanks for the additional info! I’ve actually considered the issue of spamming so I totally understand the hesitation to roll out it ubiquitously across the platform.

The use case I’m looking at is:

• multiple groups (organizations) are part of the Discourse community
  • these groups typically either communicate via one-off emails or listservs designed for specific cross-group mass communication
  • by replacing these ‘listservs’ with the Discourse community, it would be convenient for one person from one group to notify all of the members from another group

I suppose my counter question: 'If the use case is solved by alternatively forcing users of a group who wants to engage another group to assign the post to a category, is there a setting to send an email notification when a post is created AND set the permissions to that category to only those two groups?"

I know how to set permissions to a category via group, just not the first part of that question.

Thanks!

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Maybe what might make sense is to have each member of this group watch the category. Then they will get email notifications every time something happens in that category – if someone creates a new topic in that category, replies to a topic in that category, etc.

@staff, @moderators, @admins ect. could be useful. Each group should have the option to disable @ mentions though.

(cpradio) #6

All of that already exists…

@group and notifications
Inviting all usergroup members

I see now that this also works for custom groups. Does this not answer the OPs question as well?

(Andrew Stroup) #8

It does answer my question, solved!!!

(Régis Hanol) #9