Ability to mention a Group

Is there a way to mention an entire group in a post? Maybe I’m missing it, but I don’t see how you either do this or enable it (although there’s vague mention of this capability in another post https://meta.discourse.org/t/show-name-of-mentioned-group-inside-topics/16001). Thanks!

2 Likes

There is a ghetto way to do it by enabling group expansion, but this means mentioning a group simply replaces your text with 25 distinct @name mentions. (Assuming the group had 25 members)

Can you describe the use case a little more clearly, with an example? The thing we worry about is people spamming large groups with group mentions.

Ah, makes sense, thanks for the additional info! I’ve actually considered the issue of spamming so I totally understand the hesitation to roll out it ubiquitously across the platform.

The use case I’m looking at is:

• multiple groups (organizations) are part of the Discourse community
  • these groups typically either communicate via one-off emails or listservs designed for specific cross-group mass communication
  • by replacing these ‘listservs’ with the Discourse community, it would be convenient for one person from one group to notify all of the members from another group

I suppose my counter question: 'If the use case is solved by alternatively forcing users of a group who wants to engage another group to assign the post to a category, is there a setting to send an email notification when a post is created AND set the permissions to that category to only those two groups?"

I know how to set permissions to a category via group, just not the first part of that question.

Thanks!

1 Like

Maybe what might make sense is to have each member of this group watch the category. Then they will get email notifications every time something happens in that category – if someone creates a new topic in that category, replies to a topic in that category, etc.

@staff, @moderators, @admins ect. could be useful. Each group should have the option to disable @ mentions though.

2 Likes

All of that already exists…

5 Likes

I see now that this also works for custom groups. Does this not answer the OPs question as well?

It does answer my question, solved!!!

2 Likes