Add different buttons in the same reply template

I love this and I think it may help a lot with running classes where I have people answer reflection questions or even as a pseudo form.

One thing I want to explore is if people can reply directly to the post’s author with a PM without having to type the recipient’s name. In this way, I could post an exercise or drill and then people could reflect privately to me using the template, which in some scenarios I may love. I could also provide the same template but with two different buttons, where they can reply publicly in the topic or privately in a PM to me (or the author).

I know it’s not that hard for people to add a recipient in the PM composer, I just wonder, would it be easy to add an option for something like create_pm_reply or something that will go directly to the author of the post to which one is replying?

2 Likes

Greetings, dear forum participants and Discourse administration!
I wanted to ask. Is there any command to create a second button using the same template. For example, a user could use one template at his own discretion - for a private message or to create a public response.
Here’s an example:

2 Likes

I like the idea, but I don’t think this can be done with the Reply Template theme component. The theme component creates the button automatically for you and doesn’t supply any place that a second button could be added. You will need to add two reply templates to the topic in order to get close to what you are looking for.

I realize this is an old question, but the topic was bumped a few days ago. I’m not sure where things were at in May 22, but you can now add either a list of one or more users to send the PM to by using either the recipients or usernames parameters: Reply Template.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s what I’m doing for today. But when there are many templates, informational noise is created. I wanted to solve this in a more delicate way(

I realize this is an old question, but the topic was bumped a few days ago. I’m not sure where things were at in May 22, but you can now add either a list of one or more users to send the PM to by using either the recipients or usernames parameters: Reply Template .

Yeah, I understand, it turns out that usernames should be written separated by commas or is it sufficiently separated by spaces?

Usernames need to be separated by a comma, with no space after the comma. For example:

usernames="sally,Ben"
3 Likes