Add rpm module to highlightjs?

Apparently highlightjs, due to lack of core maintainers, is asking for new language support to be added via separate repositories. (See https://github.com/highlightjs/highlight.js/issues/2149).

One such separate repo is GitHub - highlightjs/highlightjs-rpm-specfile, for highlighting the RPM specfile syntax. Could you please add that to Discourse? It would be hugely helpful for Fedora!

1 Like

We’ve been adding non default languages as theme-component, even added a dedicated API hook for this.

3 Likes

Okay, cool — is there an example I can crib from?

2 Likes

I packaged one quickly for you, can you try it out?

5 Likes

Thank you!!! And, yep — right after lunch. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, seems to work!

From what I can see, it seems to auto-detect and work. If I want

```rpm-specfile

to work, I seem to need to put rpm-specfile in the “highlighted languages” site setting. Is that correct?

Also, if I put rpm there, that also works. Is this expected, or is it one of those things where I want to happen is happening for the wrong reason? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm, but it doesn’t seem to be complete… I’m getting bold for sections like %description and %prep, purple for macros like %{?dist}, and # comments get grey italics. So far so good.

But looking at discourse-highlightjs-rpm/rpm-highlightjs.js at main · discourse/discourse-highlightjs-rpm · GitHub, I would expect Name:, Release: etc, to be highlighted in some way too, as well as %if and %endif — but those aren’t.

1 Like

Are those comments directed to the Discourse integration or to the quality of the highlighter itself?

I only copy and pasted the definition from the link you provided in the OP into a Discourse-compatible theme-component, so the capabilities of it are still the original ones.

1 Like

I’m seeing those things in the code in your[1] repo, so I expect that they’d work, but they do not appear to be highlighted in DIscourse. I don’t know if that’s a problem with the highlighter module, the Discourse implementation of that, or the theme component.

1. this is not meant to be a blame statement, like “it’s your repo”… just to be clear :slight_smile: ↩︎

(For the record have bookmarked this to check what should work when I get a chance.)

1 Like

@falco — I had some time to look at this. Using Firefox’s built-in inspector, I can see that it properly add spans with classes hljs-type, hljs-keyword, etc. But if I look over on the styles side, I see a .hljs but not .hljs-type — only .hljs-keyword and .hljs-comment (the ones that work) seem to be there.

Oh, and .hljs-string also works. But I see some of the others in css … any idea what’s going on?

FWIW, this still does not work. (Sad face emoji)

1 Like

Looks like core was missing styling for the .hljs-type class. I’ve cleaned things up in this PR.

Exact colours will depend on your theme, but here’s an example RPM file:

3 Likes

Yep, works now. Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.