Add setting for Post-Voting at the category level

Could I enable Q&A for a category? In detail, if I have enabled Q&A for a category, all the posts under this category would show this vote widget and no need (or forbid) to toggle it for each topic.

10 Likes

I’ve just had a quick check and it appears the Q&A toggle is currently at the post level, and not at the category level. This would mean that each topic would have to be flipped to a Q&A style one when it’s first created.

It’s an interesting point though. I can see a use for a setting or two at the category level.

2 Likes

This is certainly a great suggestion @techAPJ , we should add to the list, it lowers the barrier to entry here.

Note though, there are complexities we can easily skip for v0 (eg: created in category A and moved to Q&A category B) … I would say v0 is mix-and-match, it simply “auto toggles” if you make a new topic in the category, nothing more.

9 Likes

That will be a great starting point. Thank you for considering it.

1 Like

Please enable Q&A for a category, this will make it easy for people to use this feature.

In the meantime, could we simply drop in some JS to automatically trigger the switch to the Q&A format? Whatever JS is triggered when clicking on “Toggle Q&A,” we simply execute on page load without the click event?

For me, I’m not even concerned about specifying a category; I merely want all topics to default to the Q&A format.

@techAPJ This is a feature a client of ours needs and I’d be happy to make a PR unless you have specific plans for this already?

5 Likes

The feature is not on my priority list right now. PR is welcome! :+1:

6 Likes

@angus — So, there’s an existing feature when editing a category’s settings:

Make new topics wikis by default

We can expect this new feature to be enabled there once it’s ready?:

Make new topics Q&As by default

Or wait, the protocol is that it’ll have to be under Settings > Plugins?

Yes, it will be a category-level setting.

2 Likes

I’ve just made a draft PR for this setting for @techAPJ 's initial review.

7 Likes

Update: The PR has been merged :tada: Thanks @techAPJ :slight_smile:

There’s now a category level setting to create QA topics by default in the category. Go to a category’s settings and check “New topics default to Q&A in this category.” under “Question Answer”.

10 Likes

The conversation to extend this setting to be an enforced topic state can be found in Limit all topics in a category to be Post Voting