Add "sign in" to anonymous header

Right now the anonymous header looks like this:

but it looks like this when scrolled down in a topic, which is where we want most people to be most of the time, right?

This is a problem, since there’s no visible Sign In to Reply most of the time, as we (very intentionally) want people to reach the bottom and read the whole conversation before replying.

I suggest we drop some of the glyphs here, which are de-facto sign in buttons for anons anyway…

And switch to this button + 2 glyphs layout:

across all anonymous pages. Hopefully this button + 2 glyphs layout will be about the same amount of space as 4 glyphs so it won’t break layout.

10 Likes

I wouldn’t remove the default user (rightmost) icon, tho. Nothing says hey, you’re not logged in! then a blank, grayish people-thing. Personally, I’d even say that I notice and recognize the icon long before my eyes have parsed the words on the Sign In button.

We kind of have to, otherwise there’s no room for the button. Sorry.

Or maybe the Sign In button could have the user glyph on it?

1 Like

Maybe like this?

Obviously with less sucky CSS. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here’s live HTML example:

I think that works well. @sam I would like us to get this in by the end of the week.

1 Like

Except for a still-present “Sign in” button :stuck_out_tongue: The majority of all websites & apps today are nice enough to remove the “Register/Sign in” button once I’m indeed signed in, because it’s a completely useless button at that point.

I’d say it’s quite universally understood that if “Sign in” is present, you are not signed in.

2 Likes

I included this in my PR to improve the header accessibility, I had already hidden the two extra glyphs from screenreaders since they are redundant.

Desktop:

Mobile:

5 Likes

Great! This change is merged and deployed on my Discourse, and it looks good:

3 Likes