Adding new posts as replies to a single topic

I installed this on my neighborhood forum to pull in local news alerts, and am impressed by the recent improvements! :heart_eyes_cat: Nice work!

One issue I am running into is that all the topics created are unlisted. Is there a setting I need to change to make them listed by default as they are pulled in?

I also was curious to know if there is a way to enable verbose logging for troubleshooting purposes, and a way to trigger the poll to occur immediately while testing. Right now it appears you have to wait 10 minutes (the minimum time allowed) and you have to rely on seeing the posts appearing to know if it worked.

And finally, a feature request. It would be helpful if a topic id could be specified for a feed, so new posts are added as replies to a a single topic. This way, short posts (e.g. emergency or outage alerts) could be kept together and not get lost in a sea of feeds posting to a category, even with a tag.

3 Likes

Yes, you need to disable the embed unlisted site setting. I’ll add that detail to the OP. That setting is enabled by default, but it doesn’t make sense with the RSS plugin. It’s intended to be used for when Discourse comments are embedded on an external site.

The plugin doesn’t supply any verbose logging. There isn’t a way to have the plugin pull in topics more frequently than once every 10 minutes without overwriting the plugin’s code - that rate limit is hard coded into the plugin.

Falco would probably be the best team member to ask about this.

3 Likes

So… @Falco any thoughts?

Some other issues that came up for me:

• unless I am misunderstanding something, adding tags for feeds that do not exist already is onerous. You have to create a topic somewhere and use that to create new tags.

• at /admin/plugins/rss_polling a helpful link to RSS Polling configuration documentation is provided. However, when you click on Rss Polling from /admin/plugins plugins list, you are taken to github. This is not terrible for self-hosters who know and care about github, but for hosting customers they will prefer to go straight to the meta topic. I will fix this.

• I think this is a plugin issue writ large - the Settings button next to each plugin on the list at /admin/plugins takes you to just where you want to go, the admin settings filtered by the plugin. But if you are on e.g. /admin/plugins/rss_polling and click on Change Settings in the top right corner you are taken to the same list of plugin settings as though you were at /admin/plugins.

1 Like

This is a mid-sized request, as it would require changes to many different places, in both backend and frontend.

Both of those aren’t specific to this plugin and should be addressed elsewhere.

2 Likes

OK we can wait on this to see if we get to rule of three.

Okidoke! :+1:

Thanks for the super fast response. :rocket:

2 Likes