Manually create and restore Discourse backups

(whoa, just found this old draft from months ago which apparently I never saved. Still relevant and hopefully useful to others who come after me)

I have some suggestions for improving this topic, having just wrangled (with success!) with restoring backups as a newbie.

1. suggest adding text right at the top explaining that there is an automated, web UI way to restore from backups and link to a topic explaining backup and restore for beginners - I was not aware of this option until after attempting the manual process which is not for the faint of heart. I would even change the title of this howto to add “Advanced” or to specify that the topic is specifically for people with very old discourse sites.
  2. no automatic backup is kept of the /var/discourse/containers/app.yml file which contains essential SMTP credentials and SSL customizations. Keep a copy of this offsite whenever you change it.

If you are using digital ocean, keep frequent snapshots of your droplets - preferably before each time you run ./launcher rebuild app or do any upgrades. Unfortunately in my case this takes an hour each time and it’s a manual process - but it’s totally worth it if you are not familiar with docker and want to avoid a headache later. :slight_smile:

1 Like