Advice on an easy landing page template to run with Discourse? On the same server?

I just set up an instance on Digital Ocean using the Beginner’s Docker guide. I want to set up a landing page as well, and I’m wondering what the best way to do this is.

Would a 1core/1GB droplet be overloaded running both a landing page and a discourse instance? If so, should I have the same nginx serving the landing page as well?

1 Like

What do you mean by “landing page”? Can you describe the flow or provide examples?

1 Like

I want to set up a “site” for university students to share information about their classes, programs, etc. Mostly just a practice project, but I think there’s room for improvement with this sort of thing, too.

A prime landing page example- “discourse.org”, which links to try.discourse.org (and more). I assume this was mostly custom designed?

And that the answer to the hosting question depends on how many viewers/users you have for your Discourse instance and “landing page”?

If the landing page is simple static HTML, I’d set up another nginx on the host with two “server” sections.

• One forwarding traffic to the Discourse docker instance for “forum.*” requests (you’d need to alter docker’s exposed port from 80 to e.g. 8080 in “/var/docker/containers/app.yml”).
  • And one section for the landing site address and point it to e.g. “/var/www” on the host and save your HTML files there.
3 Likes

Is it possible to have a Discourse instance hosted on Digital Ocean, have a landing page hosted on somewhere that’s not Digital Ocean, and still have both using the same domain (the landing page at domain.org, and the discourse at discourse.domain.org)?

Are there other elegant ways to connect two separately hosted website components?

It’s as easy as changing the subdomain’s dns to the digital ocean IP address.

3 Likes

[quote=“pa5tabear, post:5, topic:13529, full:true”]
Is it possible to have a Discourse instance hosted on Digital Ocean, have a landing page hosted on somewhere that’s not Digital Ocean, and still have both using the same domain (the landing page at domain.org, and the discourse at discourse.domain.org)?

Are there other elegant ways to connect two separately hosted website components?
[/quote]I do exatly that. I use a $5/month Squarespace ‘Cover Page’ as my landing page, at http://singletrackbc.com, and host the forum on a DO droplet at http://forum.singletrackbc.com.

2 Likes