After login it redirects to WP. can it return users back where they came from?

users logging in on my forum get lost and confused as they login then get sent to the wordpress. new users think that is where the link they 1st clicked takes them to.

can i change this so users login and then get returned to the forum if they came from there, or wordpress if they clicked login there?

thanks

Yes, that is how it is supposed to work. Can I create an account on your forum so that I can see what’s going on?

4 Likes

sure. i’ve set it to return users to the forum now, but that is confusing to users who click login at our wordpress site as they end up somewhere they didn’t want, or expect to be

its: discuss.focallocal.org

and the wordpress: news.focallocal.org

to not confuse users we’d need a command to return them back where they clicked login from

1 Like

I’ve tried it. When I am logged into WordPress and not logged into the forum, clicking the login link on the forum is working correctly - my credentials are checked on WordPress and I’m automatically redirected back to Discourse as a logged in user. When I am not logged into either Discourse or WordPress and click the Discourse login link, I’m redirected to WordPress and am able to complete the login process, but I’m not automatically redirected back to the forum. There are a couple of things that could be causing this problem.

I’m not sure what’s going on here. It seems to be working correctly for me. The WP Discourse plugin should not be having any effect on the WordPress login process when a user clicks on a login link from inside of WordPress. If it is, there’s a problem.

I see you have a multisite WordPress setup. It’s possible that some of the trouble you’re having is related to this. Do you have access to the network settings? Do you know if the Network ‘Multisite Configuration’ option has been enabled? It’s purpose is to give all subsites on a network access to the same Discourse forum. It seems like it could be useful for your case. If you have any trouble setting this up, get in touch with me and I can try to help.