Creating separate ‘Allow Chat Uploads’ settings for Public Channels and Personal Chat

If they were separate in the future, where would you allow uploads and where would you disallow them?

2 Likes

I’d probably disallow publicly but keep it for personal chats between people who want to share stuff with each other. The main reason is that it’s hard to moderate a public chat and keep it safe and family friendly.

3 Likes

Would you mind describing the demographics you know of for your community?

I had this same concern, but so far it hasn’t come up on communities where I’m active, such as:

• here, on Meta
  • my family’s forums where we need to have it family-friendly
  • an open to the public site with general discussion (so anyone off the internet)

So it gets me :thinking:: could we incorporate it into trust levels?

That could benefit from the two strong points of TLs: learning the tools available while gradually allowing more permissions.

1 Like

It’s just a hobby-based community, so it’s for all ages. We haven’t had an issue, but it’s easier to delete/moderate topics vs chats which could potentially become more toxic/graphic.

Just a precautionary measurement I guess?

1 Like

We’d love to hear your pain points in this regard. :slight_smile: If we can address the “ease” of moderating chat, everyone would be happier! :tada:

I got myself a “timeout” from here on Meta yesterday, to experience the moderation from the perspective of both an admin and a trouble-user.

Flagged messages from chat came up in the review queue, and I was able to take similar actions on the messages, including deleting it from the queue page. :+1:

Then I was unable to interact on the site for a while (though I could still read), the same user flow for moderation of topics.

Of course this doesn’t address the other side of moderation, which is who is flagging/reporting. I think I run into this less often because I don’t participate in “firehose” chat channels, so objectable content doesn’t “fly by”, we have managable feedback loops for our various community sizes.

Exploring this made me realize: a lot of different configurations of people use chat.

2 Likes

I see your points. I guess it could work just as well as topics, where if many people flag it gets deleted. It might just be my own thinking that chat is a less controlled environment?

1 Like