Android app icon shrinking over time

Did a brief search for various iterations of android, icon, shrink, discourse - and no love…just a post about someone unable to get transparency working.

Android app for a few of my users has been gradually shrinking our site logo a few % each day. Apple user didn’t get the problem, nor did I with an older Pixel3/Android 12.

Me Pixel 3 android 12:
Edit-I seem to have the chrome update now also…

Screenshot_20220912-140253
Screenshot_20220913-083410

Apple

Galaxy s10 android 12
Sept 7
Sept 8
Sept 9

Alternate user, pixel 3a android 11 - didn’t notice until now, but he’s one shrink ahead of galaxy user:

Last (pink) user reports can be resolved by removing and re-adding the discourse hub app/link to forum. Not sure if that will just restart their shrinkage countdown.
Changed category to #bug as it seems to not just be my forum.

4 Likes

This issue is reproduced by devforum.roblox.com.
The Forum PWA App icon is very small - Forum Bugs - DevForum | Roblox

I cant reproduce on my forum, becasue I dont have an android. Will ask android users when namecheap decides to let the domain exist.

In this screenshot the icon is nearly gone.

Before clicking on this topic I was wondering how will the icon shrink, after reading the OP it is just so funny :rofl:

1 Like

Maybe this is a #feature, with lifers only having a white square as a badge of honor :laughing:

3 Likes

Same on my device but I think this is a chrome bug. I didn’t update my forum since august 20 but this strange icon behaviour is only since a few days. So I checked and there was a chrome update on September 5. I think that caused it.

Huawei P20 Pro
Android 10
Chrome: 105.0.5195.79

5 Likes

Quick update, @Falco is going to have a look at this, looks to me like our auto resizer is re-applying to existing resized images or something like that.

4 Likes

As said by @Don, this appears to be a bug on Google’s WebAPK generation service, as the logo on the manifest file is unchanged and still on the original dimensions.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1363183

5 Likes

Thank you for posting. We are having the same issue and the saga of the shrinking logos is keeping our whole community amused

2 Likes

This is how small it has gotten for us for one user :joy:

3 Likes

This is expected during the colder months…

7 Likes

FWIW, I noticed this as well but thought it was a fix since the icon was no longer escaping the boundary around it. :laughing:

But now I see it’s getting even smaller over time.

ObXKCD:

6 Likes

We intentionally mark the PWA icon as maskable, so it can be cut down the the DOZENS of formats of icons in different Android launchers:

Admins should consider the maskable minimum safe area when creating those.

Google acked this bug, fix incoming.

11 Likes

Good news @here !

This was fixed on Google side so icons won’t get smaller every day anymore!

It won’t fix the existing icons yet, so if you want to fix the icons ASAP you will need to reinstall the PWA.

8 Likes

Thanks for escalating this one! I never would have known to bug the chromium team.

3 Likes

Good to hear it’s been resolved. :slight_smile:

is that a pun? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

How do I reinstall the application on Android? When the banner appears asking if you want to install it, if you click on it, it takes you to the Play Store to download the Discourse Hub app (not the “your site” standalone app)

You should be able to ‘install app’ or ‘add to homepage’ from your browser menu when you’re on the forum. :+1:

2 Likes

“Add to homepage” was the solution, thanks!! :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.