Animated Avatar Plugin

@featheredtoast now that we support animated webp, animated avif and support for animated png is coming soon, we may be able to drop the need of a plugin for this.

6 Likes

Even after updating to the latest version and adding .webp to the list of supported formats, it’s still coming up with this message whenever I try to upload an animated .webp as my pfp.

On a similar note, I attempted to upload an animated gif and it ends up as a static gif image. So this animated avatar plugin (before it was broken) added some real value in that it enabled animated profile images.

5 Likes

Apparently the latest discourse update broke this plugin.
When trying to access the profile of a user with the animated avatar, i get these errors

I also see active PR in the repo but opened in Oct 2023 and never merged. Is the maintainer still around?

1 Like

I don’t see @featheredtoast reacting to this last message. Given some time I’ll try and fork this project to fix it but no idea on the timeline for that unfortunately.

1 Like

I have a working fix, just finishing testing on my staging environment

The problem was avatar.string becoming avatar.__string

2 Likes

PR ready for merge:

4 Likes

While no longer a fatal error when used, the Animated Avatars plugin still isn’t working for us on our self-hosted instance, the avatars simply don’t animate, even when users upload one. manual checking shows that the animated avatars are indeed being uploaded, but they aren’t being used.

3 Likes

I am planning to run an update tomorrow. Any news on this plugin?

2 Likes

Still broken last I checked, though it won’t cause your forum to have errors.

@Firepup650 can you describe the issues you’re seing in more detail? I took it for a spin locally and it seems to work ok.

Kapture 2024-03-07 at 10.16.45

It’s worth noting this section from the OP. By default the animation only happens when a particular post is moused over. But you can toggle the ‘always animate’ site setting to make it happen unconditionally:

3 Likes

We have always-animate on, and the test user I spun up doesn’t seem to animate on AMC, I’ll try a couple of safe mode’s toggles to double-check.

No-themes has no effect on my test user, did I miss something?

Also, settings:

1 Like

Looks like user profiles are hidden from the public so I can’t see the link. I did try creating account, so if you’re ok to approve it I’ll take a quick look :eyes:

2 Likes

Already approved once I saw you in the queue, I don’t remember hiding public profiles

2 Likes

Looks like your test user is trust-level-0 “new user”

SCR-20240307-nkdh

And, from your screenshot above, animated avatars are only for tl1 and above :eyes:

It’s the “hide user profiles from public” site setting. From the browser console:

1 Like

Homer Simpson
I thought I had promoted my test account to TL1, sorry!

3 Likes

No worries! I’ll go ahead and remove the broken tag (cc @Crius)

4 Likes

I reinstalled the plugin 24hrs ago and it’s working for me.

Thanks for fixing itđŸ’«

5 Likes

Wow! This is very useful!

2 Likes

I’m delighted that this is operational again! While the subject remains topical, could we possibly enable its functionality on the mobile view homepage?

1 Like