API: how to get all private messages that include a user (including sent messages)

Using the API, I want to return a list of all private messages that include a user (any private message with their username attached to it). This would include all private messages for a user and also all private messages sent by a user.

I’m only seeing these separated as two separate calls in the API. Is there a way to get all private messages back without having to make two separate calls?

Maybe use the data explorer plugin to get the data you want. You could then retrieve it via the API.

Or maybe say what problem you’re trying to solve. That is, what are you going to do when you have the information? Maybe there’s a better way to do that.

3 Likes

In this case, I just want to get back a list of all private messages involving a user. Hadn’t thought of the data explorer plugin–but that’s probably adding more complexity (but I’ll still take a look). I’m hoping to stay within the world of (relatively simple) API calls.

If this doesn’t exist right now–if there is not a way to view all private messages involving a user (both sent to and sent from a user) without making different API calls, can I request this feature?

1 Like