Approval screen: what's the thumbs down?

From time to time I receive requests for membership which have a thumbs up/down and a percentage.

Today I got an approval with this at the bottom:
(I just tried to paste in a screen shot and … no luck, what’s with that?)

Anyway, at the bottom was “System 100% (thumbs down icon)

Thinking there was something amiss with the membership request, I went through it:
Bounce score: 0
IP right where they said they were. Nothing wrong.

So what is the percentage with a thumbs down all about?

4 Likes

Not sure what happened there, but I’ll check.

That sounds like Akismet (our spam detection tool) at work flagging spam accounts/posts.

The thumbs down says Akismet disagrees with the account/post and the percentage shows how much it disagrees. the amount of time staff has agreed with the flag from this particular person. It gets weird when the person is a bot.

4 Likes

On desktop you can mouse over the flag rating to see specific statistics for the last 100 flags by this particular user:

This means, of the last 100 flags by this user …

• 42% were agreed with by staff
  • 37% were disagreed with by staff
  • 21% were ignored by staff

The main icon indicates the highest stat, in other words it is a shorthand for:

:thinking: Do staff members typically agree with, disagree with, or ignore flags from this particular user?

In this case flags generated by the System user (not a real user, of course) are being disagreed with 100% of the time by staff, so you see 100% and thumbs down. Looks like the spam prevention is being a little over eager in its flagging?

8 Likes

That’s good to know in the case of a member.

But I’m getting the thumbs down with a percentage for a newbie asking for membership. They have no history with the community.

Could it be as Osioke suggests, a warning about the email address from our friend Akismet?

1 Like

Jeff is correct, if you place your mouse or hover on the thumbs icon, you’ll see an excerpt that explains what it means. And as Jeff said, flags generated by the System user (not a real user, of course) are being disagreed with 100% of the time by staff, so you see 100% and thumbs down. Which is what you see for some new members.

3 Likes

OK guys, thanks for this. So the bottom line for us is “Just ignore it.” We can do that!

C

3 Likes