Are there problems with using flags to nominate posts for recognition?

I am currently implementing a custom badge system to recognize exceptional posts (not topics, but specific posts), while it’s great the mods can award this badge, I would also like the ability for users to nominate posts for a badge. My initial thought was to use the flag system and encourage the user to use ‘Something Else’ to notify the mods of a post that deserves a badge and then the mods decide if it should be awarded. But then I’m concerned that if a bunch of users flag a post it will be automatically hidden, which is obviously not what I want. So, a few questions:

• Will a post be hidden if a bunch of users flag it with ‘Something Else’ or does this only apply to the other flagging options?
  • If so, where is the threshold for hide post sensitivity on low, med, high? I would hate to disable this all together, but that is the nuclear option.
  • Are there any other negatives with a post being flagged? The flags show up on the users profile to mods/admins, but are there any other problems with using the flagging this way?

Thanks!

3 Likes