Are you using a real user to send welcome messages?

I am using @system however for different reasons on one of my largest installations.

• image download event notifications are important to ensure the post still looks the way it should, those don’t make sense coming from a normal user, however they do from @system.
  • technical issues are dealt with by myself and only technical problems, it makes no sense for me to be the replacement @system user as I do not handle community issues and I should not be sending the welcome messages.
  • Usually nobody logs in as @system because there is no point to, we have separate representatives for community issues and it would make sense for one of them to handle it - but then as tech support I loose visibility of the other important events. Discourse - doesn’t seem to allow for this.
  • Only one personal message to @system has been missed - although it was a surprise to find it.

This has perhaps lead to a couple of problems to do with important system event notifications not being received, as I would have expected these to be sent via email:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/download-remote-images-setting-reset-during-upgrade/20357

This may have been due to me not having an email address set on the @system user.

I have recently added an email address to the @system user - hopefully this is part to do with the reasons these events have been missed.

1 Like